‘It’s a really good point’ – McGreal after U’s six-goal thriller at Oldham
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United boss, John McGreal, declared today’s 3-3 draw at Oldham Athletic as “a really good point,” despite his side conceding two late goals when leading 3-1 going into the final five minutes.
The U’s were 2-0 and 3-1 up, thanks to a brace of goals from Luke Norris, which sandwiched a terrific volley from Harry Pell.
But Oldham came storming back, leading scorer Sam Surridge netting twice and Peter Clarke bagging an 88th minute equaliser to make it 3-3.
The visitors were 3-1 up going into the final five minutes, but in the end they could not hold on, although they have stretched their unbeaten record at Boundary Park to nine visits.
McGreal’s men remain in fourth spot in League Two, having lost just one of their first nine league matches of the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
And in truth, Oldham did boss much of today’s game, even though they left it very late to salvage a point.
“We did a lot of defending today. You have to give Oldham credit because I thought they were very good from minute one,” explained McGreal.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 5 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 6 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 7 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 10 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
“We haven’t been at our best, but even then we got ourselves into a 3-1 lead.
“Looking at it positively, it’s another really good point away from home.
“And we do look clinical up front. Throughout the first nine games we have kept that clinical edge up top.
“Luke (Norris) is getting fitter and fitter, but at the other end we have not been at our best today.
“We conceded two goals from set pieces, which is not like us.
“We haven’t played well as we can, but we have scored three goals.
“You would normally expect to get three points with three goals, but not necessarily in this tough division, and in hindsight this could be a valuable point against a good Oldham side,” added McGreal.