Mellor brace see U’s lose at Wednesday
npower League One Sheffield Wednesday 2 Colchester Utd 0 1
COLCHESTER United’s poor away form continued this afternoon as Neil Mellor’s brace saw struggling Sheffield Wednesday end a four game losing streak at Hillsborough.
Mellor lobbed keeper Ben Williams to open the scoring in the 25th minute after U’s skipper Kemi Izzet inadvertently diverted the ball into his path.
The big striker then doubled the lead with a fine header six minutes after the break.
Steven Gillespie tapped home the easiest of consolations in the final minute of the game after the keeper pushed away a shot from substitute John-Joe O’Toole.
You may also want to watch:
However, the Owls – who took the lead at home for the first time since November - deserved their victory for a gutsy display.
Just like so many times this season, Colchester put plenty of effort into their performance but couldn’t find any of the rhythm witnessed in their home displays. They have now suffered 10 defeats from their last 13 away games in the league.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 A blow for Cook as trusted assistant Richardson gets full-time Wigan job
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 7 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 8 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 9 Family 'devastated' after thatched cottage badly damaged in fire
- 10 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
It could have been a different story had David Mooney not volleyed wide from a good position in the 20th minute, while Nathan Clarke had a header from a corner cleared off the line by Gary Teale soon after the second goal.
Wednesday had chances to further their lead at 2-0 though, with Mellor – having also scored the equaliser in the reverse fixture last August – almost sealing his hat-trick two minutes from time when he headed just over the bar.
– Full match report in Monday’s EADT. Reaction to follow.
SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY (4-4-2): O’Donnell; Buxton, Batth, R Johnson, Otsemobor; Teale (Cokes 85), Miller, O’Connor, J Johnson (Sedgwick 79); Madine, Mellor.
Unused Subs: Nicholls, Jones, Potter, O’Brien, Morrison.
COLCHESTER UTD (4-4-2): Williams; Wilson, Heath, Clarke, Coker; Bond, Izzet (O’Toole 75), Perkins (James 60), Vincent; Mooney (Odejayi 67), Gillespie.
Unused Subs: Cousins, Smith, Wordsworth, Henderson.
Booked: Coker (28), Mooney (45), Perkins (58).