Mick McCarthy considers bolstering his defensive ranks
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy is considering bolstering his defensive ranks during this month’s transfer window.
The Blues boss previously said that he wouldn’t want to upset the spirit in his close-knit squad with too many additions, but is now looking at adding a defender to the ranks following the loan departures of Freddie Veseli and Elliott Hewitt to Bury and Gillingham respectively.
“I’m absolutely delighted with the squad of players we have got here and we have Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Hunty (Stephen Hunt) in there now as well,” the Town boss told the club website.
“With the window open, it’s possible that we could have one or two changes. Players going out on loan might open things up to bring someone in.
“We have only used the five lads at the back, Cressy (Aaron Cresswell), Tyrone (Mings), Tommy Smith, Christophe Berra and Chambo (Luke Chambers) and they have done remarkably well. That is perhaps an area where we could look to strengthen squad wise.”
Ipswich have used the fewest players in the Championship so far this season (22), with the number of first team squad members currently standing at 20 following the return of loanee winger Jordan Graham to Aston Villa and the departures of Hewitt, Veseli and Jack Marriott (Gillingham) on loan.
You may also want to watch:
Of that 20, just 18 are fit and available for selection at present due to strikers Daryl Murphy (thigh) and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (hamstring) being injured.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 6 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 7 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 8 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies