Mick McCarthy delivers a motivational post deadline day speech to his Ipswich Town players
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy sat his players down hours after the transfer window shut and told them – ‘you’re as good as anyone else in this division’.
Following a devastating December, the Blues’ low-budget, tight-knit squad produced a jaded January.
Several of their rivals, including Derby, Middlesbrough and Brentford, have splashed the cash in an attempt to boost their promotion chances, but McCarthy – who side remain just three points off the top heading into this afternoon’s match at Rotherham – has kept faith with his spirited group.
“Walking around being envious of other people is counter-productive,” said McCarthy. “I’m happy with the lads I’ve got. I had a word with them on Tuesday when the window had shut and said; ‘Have a look around this dressing room and who you’re sat here with’.
“I said; ‘Have a think – are there too many better goalkeepers than what we’ve got? Are there many better full-backs and centre-halves? Are there many better midfield players or wide players who do the job that we want to do playing 4-4-2? Then have a look at your strikers. We’ve got one of the leading scorers of last year (David McGoldrick) and the leading scorer of this year (Daryl Murphy).
You may also want to watch:
“And who’s to say the players others have gone and got are going to fit in? You can gain something by signing players, but you can definitely lose something as well.”
He continued: “Marcus (Evans, owner) is adhering to Financial Fair Play – that’s the way it is. If we are underdogs it’s just because of the fact that we’re not spending any money. It doesn’t mean that we’ve got worse players than anyone else though.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
“Don’t forget I’ve got shut of some players from here that cost a whole load of money. They didn’t contribute anything for me did they? The ones that cost nowt have got us three points off the top. I actually think a few will be envying us.”
– See today’s EADT for full match preview. Follow @Stuart_Watson on Twitter for live match updates.