Mick McCarthy did consider bringing Jonny Williams back to Ipswich Town for a fifth time
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy admits he did consider bringing Jonny Williams back to the club for a fifth loan spell this summer.
The Welsh international midfielder proved a massive hit during his first spell at Portman Road back in 2013/14, but a string of injuries limited his time on the field during subsequent temporary switches.
Crystal Palace have loaned the 23-year-old out for a seventh time, this time to Sunderland.
“He’s such a lovely young man and it was a pleasure having him,” said McCarthy, who started Williams just once last season.
Asked if he considered signing him again, he replied: “I always consider Jonny, always. He’d had his injuries though. It just didn’t seem like the right fit for either of us. I think he needed a fresh start.”
You may also want to watch:
Williams could feature for the Black Cats at Portman Road tomorrow tonight after missing Saturday’s 2-1 home loss to Cardiff through illness.
- 1 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 2 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 3 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 7 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 8 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon