Mick McCarthy did consider bringing Jonny Williams back to Ipswich Town for a fifth time
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy admits he did consider bringing Jonny Williams back to the club for a fifth loan spell this summer.
The Welsh international midfielder proved a massive hit during his first spell at Portman Road back in 2013/14, but a string of injuries limited his time on the field during subsequent temporary switches.
Crystal Palace have loaned the 23-year-old out for a seventh time, this time to Sunderland.
“He’s such a lovely young man and it was a pleasure having him,” said McCarthy, who started Williams just once last season.
Asked if he considered signing him again, he replied: “I always consider Jonny, always. He’d had his injuries though. It just didn’t seem like the right fit for either of us. I think he needed a fresh start.”
Williams could feature for the Black Cats at Portman Road tomorrow tonight after missing Saturday’s 2-1 home loss to Cardiff through illness.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 7 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Crewe win
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 10 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen