Mick McCarthy reveals Ipswich Town are in talks with clubs over potential signings
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy believes he’s closer to making further additions to his squad.
The Blues boss revealed his transfer frustrations following Tuesday night’s 3-2 friendly defeat at Colchester.
But, when asked if he was any closer to signing a player or two at the club’s annual Open Day earlier, he replied: “I think so, at least we’re talking to them anyway.”
With owner Marcus Evans in charge of negotiating transfer deals, McCarthy admitted that he wasn’t sure whether bids have been accepted at this point, saying: “That I wouldn’t know. We’re in discussions with clubs.”
Asked if he was happy with his squad, Town’s Championship campaign starting at Brentford on August 8, he said: “I’m happy with the players I’ve got but I need to add to the squad.
“We’ve had 16 out today and a couple of those were trialists (Giles Coke and Larsen Touré), so quite clearly that’s not going to see us through for 10 months of a season and 46 games.
You may also want to watch:
“And even at the start we’ve got six games in 21 days, potentially seven if we beat Stevenage (in the League Cup).”
Released striker Noel Hunt also trained with the Blues at Portman Road this morning, in front of a record open day crowd of more than 7,500, and is understood to be close to joining League One side Southend.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 4 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 5 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 6 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 7 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 8 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 9 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 10 A134 closed after serious accident in Colchester