Mike’s Moments! Witches trump the Aces, Cameron Heeps, what an atmosphere! Mike Bacon gives his verdict...
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Mike Bacon reflects on Ipswich Witches’ fine 52-38 win over Belle Vue Aces at Foxhall Stadium.
The Witches didn’t take long to fall behind to the Aces... just one heat to be precise.
But boy did they fight back immediately and by heat five were eight ahead.
That type of team spirit is just what is needed for this Ipswich side who are far from the bookies’ favourites to win the Premiership – yet it is early days.
You may also want to watch:
But that spirit can buy a lot of points.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 8 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
- 9 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 10 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
The Witches have found a couple of top reserves in Cameron Heeps and Jake Allen.
Heeps especially has arrived back on these shores from Oz, a fitter, meaner and faster speedway rider.
He had two extra outings against the Aces – fully deserved – and was again a match-winner for the Witches.
He has set his own bar high... Now he must keep it going.
Incredibly, Witches heat leaders Danny King and Rory Schlein (who was guesting for Chris Harris), notched only 12 points between them.
That’s not a criticism because the pair of them were instrumental in a couple of important 5-1 maximums.
But what it shows is that this Ipswich team is solid throughout. It will keep all seven of them on their toes.
There is little doubt the atmosphere at Foxhall Heath has improved dramatically over the last couple of seasons and now with Premiership racing each week, it is even better.
Foxhall is a big stadium and fans can rattle around in it.
But the early signs this season are that the fans are coming back and the atmosphere is so much better. It was a healthy crowd in attendance.
You should have heard the roar when Heeps beat Max Fricke in heat 11....even above the sound of four bikes!
The Witches meet Swindon home and away next week.
They travel to Wiltshire on Easter Monday, before the Robins are the next visitors to Foxhall next Thursday.
The Premiership is quality and the standard of racing seen so far at Foxhall has been top drawer. Former world champ Jason Doyle is Swindon’s No.1.
But let’s not get carried away.
The Witches have made a superb start to life back in the top tier of British speedway.... But it is a long season and there are many very hard tests ahead.
One thing the side do know however is.... On their day they can beat anyone.