Murphy and McGoldrick named in provisional Republic of Ireland squad
Ipswich Town strikers Daryl Murphy and David McGoldrick have been named in a provisional 34-man Republic of Ireland squad ahead of their European Championships qualifier against Poland, in Dublin, on Sunday, March 29.
Murphy – the Championship’s 22-goal top-scorer – earned an international recall earlier this season, while Nottingham-born McGoldrick – who has an Irish grandparent – made his debut last November after having his passport rubber-stamped.
The squad will be reduced in the week prior to the match, other strikers in contention including: Robbie Keane, Shane Long, Jon Walters, Kevin Doyle, Anthony Stokes, and Simon Cox.
McGoldrick has missed the last seven Town matches with a thigh injury and returned to full training at the back end of last week.
Meanwhile, pacy winger Dylan Connolly – a recent addition from Irish second tier side Shelbourne – has been named in the Republic of Ireland Under-21 squad for their UEFA Championship qualifying match against Andorra, in Waterford, on Thursday, March 26.
You may also want to watch:
Connolly, 19, has already been on the Town first team bench on a number of occasions.
Town loanee striker Chris Wood has been named in the New Zealand squad for a friendly against South Korea, in Seoul, on Tuesday, March 31, but Blues defender Tommy Smith will not be involved.
- 1 A12 closed following serious collision
- 2 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 4 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 5 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 6 Why have ITFC's American owners issued £18m of new shares?
- 7 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 8 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 9 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
Blues midfielder Kevin Bru has been named in the Mauritius squad for their friendlies with Burundi (Wednesday, March 25) and Togo (Saturday, March 28).
Paris-born Bru, who qualifies for Mauritius via his parents, has previously won two full caps having played for France at U18 and U19 levels.
The 26-year-old missed last Saturday’s 1-1 home draw with Brentford due to a knee injury.
Academy midfielder Andre Dozzell has been named in the England U16 squad for the Montaigu Tournament in France which starts later this month. The 15-year-old – son of former Town player Jason – is set to face Mexico, Turkey and the Ivory Coast in the group stages.
Monty Patterson, another academy midfielder, has been named in the New Zealand U20 squad for two friendlies away against Uzbekistan next month. Those matches are part of the Junior Whites’ preparations for the FIFA U20 World Cup, which New Zealand is hosting in May and June.