Needham's winning run is ended

NEEDHAM Market's 12-match Premier Division winning run since the start of the Ridgeons League season was ended by Felixstowe and Walton United last night, while both Halstead Town and Maldon bowed out of the FansFocus.

NEEDHAM Market's 12-match Premier Division winning run since the start of the Ridgeons League season was ended by Felixstowe and Walton United last night, while both Halstead Town and Maldon bowed out of the Essex Senior Cup.


Halstead 1 Dagenham 3

DESPITE going out of the county cup Halstead gave a good account of themselves, having the best chance of the first half when Bryan failed with only the keeper to beat.

You may also want to watch:

Dagenham earned several corners and after 45 minutes home keeper Rutherford failed to hold Pepper's cross but Emerson headed clear.

A flurry of three goals in 10 minutes set the crowd buzzing, with Bordman getting the final touch to put the visitors ahead. Minutes later Halstead were back on terms when Dagenham keeper Thompson was red carded for bringing down Bryan and Daly banged home the resultant spot kick.

Most Read

Five minutes later Dagenham went in front again when Halstead were unable to clear another corner and Pejan-Sie banged home the loose ball.

Halstead brought on both subs but the 10-man Dagenham side had all the answers when Halstead attacked and they eventually rounded off the scoring five minutes from the end through Benson.

Maldon 2 Brentwood 3 (after extra time)

BRENTWOOD scored after 52 minutes when Easterford headed home from a corner but on 70 minutes Russell Tanner brought on youngsters Nave Arain and Craig Emery and it was Emery who equalised with his first touch of the ball a minute later.

Berquez looked to have made amends for his missed penalty but had his shot ruled offside.

With a minute to go Alan Sampson put Jamie Robinson through to score from the edge of the box. But Brentwood never gave up and equalised in the 92nd minute when Easterford scored from close range.

Extra time brought the best football of the match but it was Brentwood who got the winner on 112 minutes through Diaczuk.


Bury Town 3 Waltham Forest 0

THE best of the early chances fell to Bury when Danny Cornwell headed over the bar from close range. Bury keeper Dean Greygoose saved well at the feet of Hammond.

Bury took the lead on 23 minutes when, after a sharp passing move, Sam Reed fired home past Willis. Lee Smith had a great opportunity to double the lead but shot wide.

Bury doubled their lead with a second goal by Sam Reed on 54 minutes and they were denied by keeper Willis and some poor finishing until, on 80 minutes, Sam Reed slotted home for his hat-trick.

Witham 1 Aveley 1 (abandoned due to injury)

THE match was abandoned after 37 minutes due to a serious injury to Jay Leader of Aveley, as there was a long wait for an ambulance.

The score at the time was one goal each with Gasper scoring after three minutes for Aveley and Joyce equalising for Witham in the 23rd minute.


Felixstowe & Walton Utd 2 Needham Market 1

NEEDHAM Market's 12-match winning run in the league ended at Dellwood Avenue last night as the home side deservedly took all three points from an action-packed full-blooded encounter.

The visitors made the early running and a mix-up in the home defence almost let in Smith, but Howlett cleared off the line.

The Needham defence never got to grips with Phillips and Hetherington and it was Phillips on the half-hour who fired low past Jones in a packed goal-mouth to give Felixstowe the lead.

Frost and Phillips both had chances to extend the lead each side of the break, and it was Phillips on the hour who drilled home the second.

Needham were then given a lifeline with eight minutes left when Bell was penalised for handling and Glen Snell put away the penalty to set up a nervous end with Cudworth twice producing vital saves to see his side through to victory.


FC Clacton 2 Hadleigh Utd 2

HADLEIGH almost made amends for their cup defeat to Clacton last Tuesday by taking all three points from this encounter, but were denied at the death.

The hosts should have taken a 16th-minute lead when Luke Whitewell parried a Mike White effort into the path of Paul Hillier, who blazed over.

Matt Waters saw a long range effort tipped around a post by Whitwell and then Clacton opened the scoring. Aaron Condon cut in from the left and fired a fierce effort into the back of the net.

Hadleigh equalised on the hour through Ben Goodchild's header and then took the lead when Craig Payne's hopeful swing at the ball saw him shoot through the legs of a Clacton defender and past the unsighted Craig Rulton.

An 88th-minute goal from Waters, who slotted past the onrushing Whitwell, rescued a point for the home side.


Ipswich Wanderers 3 Long Melford 1

WANDERERS new manager, Steve Buckle, had four new signings in the starting line-up with Danny Smy returning to the club as captain.

Long Melford were looking lively and took the game to their hosts and got the first goal on 28 minutes when French showed individual skills to work space for his shot. Five minutes later Wright levelled the scores, running on to Rachel's accurate through ball.

Almost immediately, Wanderers took the lead when Driver got the better of Durrell, but his shot was parried. As Croll scrambled back to collect the ball Durrell got an accidental touch, and put the ball into his own net.

Driver got the decisive third goal on 42 minutes when his powerful free kick was deflected off the wall, giving a wrong-footed Croll no chance.

The second half was, in comparison, a dull affair, with Wanderers not capitalising on their advantage, and Long Melford wasting their chances, too often blazing over the bar when in a good position. Wanderers progressed to the next round to face Felixstowe & Walton United.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter