New loan signing Toumani Diagouraga to wear the number 37 shirt at Ipswich Town
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town have confirmed the signing of Leeds United midfielder Toumani Diagouraga on loan until the end of the season, subject to paperwork.
The French-born powerhouse, 29, passed a medical today and could make his debut for Town in Saturday’s Championship game at Preston. He has been handed the number 37 shirt.
Diagouraga started out in the Paris St-Germain youth system before joining Watford at the age of 16. He didn’t make the breakthrough at Vicarage Road and, after loan spells with Swindon, Rotherham and Hereford, joined the latter, then in League Two, on a permanent basis.
A move to Championship club Peterborough followed in 2009, then a switch to League One club Brentford a year later. There was a spell at League Two club Portsmouth, but his career really took off on his return to Griffin Park.
He played a big role in the Bees automatic promotion, then was named Supporters’ Player of the Year when Mark Warburton’s side subsequently finished fifth in the Championship in 2014/15.
After handing in a transfer request, Diagouraga joined Leeds United for an undisclosed fee in January 2016. He has fallen down the pecking order at Elland Road under new boss Garry Monk though and his last senior appearance came on the very first weekend of the season last August.
Recently he has been training with the Yorkshire club’s Under-23s and last week was on the verge of joining the Championship’s rock-bottom club Rotherham on loan.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 'He's made massive strides here' - Town recall striker Simpson from Swindon
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Stanley win
- 4 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 5 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 6 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-1 win v Accrington
- 8 'It's an important win' - McKenna on 2-1 victory against Accrington
- 9 "I love him... I think he’s absolutely brilliant' - Chaplin on Town boss McKenna
- 10 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
Diagouraga becomes Town’s third signing of the January transfer window following the additions of right-back Jordan Spence (free agent) and striker Kieffer Moore (£10k, Forest Green Rovers).
Former Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor started a trial spell today.