New point-to-point season gets underway at Cottenham this weekend
- Credit: Archant
This Sunday sees the opening of the East Anglian point-to-point season at its traditional venue, Cottenham, with the first race at 12 noon, writes Mike Ashby.
A six race card kicks off with the always competitive PPORA Club Members Conditions Race.
The Francesca Nimmo-trained Derksen, is sure to be fit and prefers a right-handed track and decent ground. Torran Na Dtonn, who missed last season, is set to run and his trainer Andrew Pennock is very happy with the horse’s fitness level.
The Men’s Open looks to be the race of the day with top class point to pointers Now Ben, Broken Eagle and Just Cause all entered. Of the three Now Ben, the three time course winner, represents last season’s champion trainer Philip Rowley and leading male rider Alex Edwards. Mr Mix, an ex Paul Nicholls’ horse and newcomer to the pointing ranks, is another contender.
Trainer Alan Hill has a tremendous win ratio at Cottenham and apart from Broken Eagle, Sharp Suit, who has never been out of the first two at the track, contests the Ladies’ Open.
You may also want to watch:
Hill also has the interesting Captiva Island entered in both Maidens although connections are leaning towards to the 2m4f race, as he is a horse with plenty of speed and one to follow for the season.
He could however face stiff opposition from the James Owen-trained, Linkenholt having improved physically over the summer and having relaxed markedly, according to his trainer.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 4 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 8 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 9 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
Owen also runs Full Batten in the Restricted, another to have improved over the summer and Cottenham is the ideal track for him.
With Net D’Ecosse also a possibility to take his chance in the Ladies Open, possibly starting as favourite, it could be a successful day for the James Owen team.
Cottenham provides superb viewing for spectators with fast, competitive racing, tradestands and catering outlets. The racecourse is situated 4 miles north of Cambridge, signposted from the B1049 ( Sat Nav CB24 8RG ).
Admission for this meeting is £12 including racecard. Children under 16 admitted free. For all the latest information please head to www.pointingea.com