‘I don’t see why we can’t find the next fighting stars here’ - Newman on opening new gym
- Credit: Archant
Promoter Steve Newman is hoping he he can find the next big fighting stars from the region after opening a new gym in Norwich.
Newman, the man behind the renowned Contenders promotion, has opened Elite Gym on the Guardian Road Industrial Estate, and has already been impressed with the amount of fistic talent coming through his doors.
“Norwich needed it,” said Newman of his facility, which boasts two boxing/K1 rings, an MMA cage, extensive matted area and a huge range of punch bags. “I felt there wasn’t anywhere for the guys, particularly MMA, to train properly.
“That’s part of it, and the other part of it is of course it’s nice to have some of our own guys coming through to fight on the show.
“We’ve had some great guys coming through the doors, pros that want to train with us, it’s a great thing having a cage, and everyone trains under our ethos – no ego, everyone helps each other.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re seeing guys showing dedication and proving that they really want to get involved, through to guys who have had fights and are very happy to help the others.”
Of names that fight fans should be keeping an eye out for, Newman highlighted fledgling pro boxer Rylan Charlton, who has his second pro fight at the famous York Hall on October 6, Muay Thai and K1 fighter Jonny Waterhouse, and MMA/K1 prospect Joe Lincoln.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 3 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 4 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 5 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 6 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 7 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 8 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 9 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 10 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
“Rylan’s a fantastic boxer, and it’s great to have him here for the rest of the guys to watch and look to,” said Newman.
“He hits like you wouldn’t believe and has his second pro fight at York Hall next month. He’s my type of fighter - promises fireworks, and delivers!
“Jonny’s going to fight in November on Contenders 25– he’s a big unit, fantastic kicker.
“Joe came to us, had one charity fight and trained really well for it, and he’s dedicated and really listens well. I’m really looking forward to seeing how develops.”
Newman added: “I don’t see why we can’t find the next fighting stars here – we’ve got the facilities, we’ve got the coaches and we’ve got the interest.”