Non-league football round-up

BLUE SQUARE SOUTHFisher Athletic 2 Braintree Town 0BRAINTREE Town missed out on a chance to draw level with the play-off places with defeat away to promotion rivals Fisher Athletic.


Fisher Athletic 2 Braintree Town 0

BRAINTREE Town missed out on a chance to draw level with the play-off places with defeat away to promotion rivals Fisher Athletic.

Iron's Chris Sullivan was stretchered off with concussion after 10 minutes following a heavy challenge after the striker had twice gone close to breaking the deadlock.

You may also want to watch:

The Essex side fell behind after 30 minutes when they failed to deal with a quick counter-attack which left Gavin Tomlin free to score from 18 yards out.

Fisher doubled their advantage three minutes later when Tomlin was again allowed too much room to fire home from 12 yards.

Most Read

Braintree dominated for long spells of the second half, however Tony Boot and Leon Archer saw efforts saved by Overland.


Chelmsford City 1 Hastings 1

CHELMSFORD City slipped up at Melbourne as a last-minute Kevin Rose equaliser made the Clarets pay for a stack of missed chances in the second half which could have buried the struggling Sussex club out of sight.

Rose, who had just received his last warning for misconduct, sent a lofted effort over goalkeeper Danny Gay's head from 40 yards to meant Jeff King's side dropped points at home for only the second time this season.

After just 10 minutes Chelmsford's young winger Ricky Holmes was grounded just inside the 18-yard box by a United defender to earn his team a penalty. Jeff Minton stepped-up to take the kick which was brilliantly blocked down the middle by keeper Lee Worgan but he was unfortunate to see the rebound drop straight back to the City midfielder who slammed home.

Chelmsford were by no means at their best, though, and they paid for their failure to take their chances.

Disaster struck for the Essex side right on the whistle. With just seconds remaining, having almost received his marching orders just before, Rose received the ball square with the City dugout and sent it back goalwards and he watched Gay grasp at thin air as the equaliser dropped into the net.

Harrow Borough 5 Heybridge 0

HEYBRIDGE Swifts find themselves being sucked back towards the relegation zone following a five-goal thrashing at Harrow Borough.

After a battling display by a depleted Heybridge side in the early stages, the Essex side were left with nine men in the final 15 minutes after serious injuries to Ian Wiles and Robbie King after manager Brian Statham had used all his substitutions, and a red card to Sean Marks. Harrow Borough took full advantage of their greater numbers to win by an eventually commanding scoreline. Meanwhile, Swifts have released winger Matthew Batt who has failed to command a regular place in the side.


Maldon Town 2 Potters Bar 1

MALDON Town moved to within five points of the top with this hard-fought win over struggling Potters Bar Town.

Maldon laid siege to the visitors' goal in the opening stages and duly went in front when James Robinson's perfect cross saw Rob Edmonds slice the ball onto the leg of a defender, who scored an own goal. After this Potters Bar came into the game but Maldon goalkeeper Darren Gould kept them out.

However, the visitors did equalise five minutes after the break when a corner from the left was met with a powerful header by centre-half Billy Crowther.

Maldon regained the lead eight minutes later when the 6ft 6in Rob Edmonds went on a run down the middle before sending the ball out to Robinson on the left who in turn sent over another delightful cross for Steve Wareham to head in at the near post.

Witham Town 0 Dartford 4

WITHAM were destroyed by a strong second half showing from high-flyers Dartford on Saturday.

The hosts were unlucky to be a goal down at half time after Cody McDonald had hit the crossbar and also a post, while Dave Hawes had seen a shot cleared off the line.

Dartford had broken the deadlock when Witham keeper Stuart Crumpen was adjudged to have picked up a back pass and Jamie Coyle shot low through the crowd from the close range free-kick.

The second-placed visitors then stepped up a gear after the break, as Eddie McClements, Ryan Hayes and Brendon Cass all scored, while Crumpen saved a penalty taken by Hayes.

Wivenhoe Town 2 Brentwood 0

WIVENHOE Town finally recorded their first league win of the season to take their points tally to six.

With many new faces under the new management of Richard Carter, the Dragons went into this match buoyed by their recent draw against table-toppers AFC Sudbury.

The Essex side took an early lead when Stanley and Flatt set up Hopkins in the third minute and his crisp shot found the bottom corner.

The nervous home support were made to wait until four minutes from the end before the victory was sealed when Barrett crossed from the right, Underwood held the ball well, before Flatt drilled his shot through the keeper from 15 yards.

Arlesey Town 0 AFC Sudbury 2

AFC Sudbury survived a potential abandonment of this match to win and go back to the top-of-the-table.

A goal in each half had put AFC Sudbury in control when an injury to referee Chris Knowles saw a 20-minute delay as the teams failed to agree on a replacement assistant referee. Play eventually did resume, with the rest of the match played out with one linesman, and Sudbury easily held out for the win.

The visitors took the lead in the first half when David Head turned in the penalty area to play the ball back for Smith to sweep the ball home.

Head missed a chance to double the advantage when he drove a penalty straight at Dhuncup, but three minutes after the break Rowe swept home from Boardley's inch-perfect pass.

Bury Town 0 Edgware Town 0

Bury Town claimed a good point against championship contenders Edgware Town on Saturday.

The visitors came close to opening the scoring in the tenth minute when Kevin Chakaodza deflected Johnny Moore's shot against the Bury bar. Bury fought back strongly and Sam Reed and Scott Chaplin both went close.

Edgware started the second period on top and Chakaodza shot over when well placed. Bury responded, but substitute Danny Cornwell shot straight at keeper Blackburne when through on goal.

Bury keeper Dean Greygoose was forced into a great save to deny Richard Morton, while Bury might have had a penalty when Steve Bugg appeared to be pushed in the area late on.


Walsham 4 Harwich & Parkeston 2

HARWICH & Parkeston couldn't come back from a poor start against Wlasham-le-Willows.

The hosts took the lead after three minutes when Newman robbed a defender and fed Paul Musgrove, who cut inside and curled a left-footed shot into the top corner of the net.

Walsham went further ahead after 12 minutes when a Musgrove free kick was poorly cleared by a Harwich defender and Partridge shot home.

Walsham were dominant but, following an injury to Pollard, Harwich took the initiative and reduced the arrears when T. Charters crossed for Page to shoot home from close range.

Ten minutes after the restart T Charters and Brannon ran into each other, which allowed Paul Musgrove to drive a left-foot shot low into the net for 3-1.

Another good Walsham move ended with Deeks' shot being dropped by Wooton and Brown shot home the loose ball.

A mistake by goalkeeper Mustoe allowed Page to head home a consolation.

Leiston 2 Needham Market 2

LEISTON were made to rue a missed Pip Boyland penalty as league leaders Needham Market snatched a point deep into stoppage time.

After a frantic but goal-less first half the game was brought to life when Tommy Smith latched onto a pass from Evans to score for Needham.

Three minutes later came Boyland's miss but, with 15 minutes remaining, Ian Smith crossed from the right and substitute Allen headed home his first Leiston goal.

With four minutes remaining the home side thought they had completed a great turnaround when Danny George capitalised on a mistake by Jones to side-foot into the empty net.

However in the fourth minute of stoppage time Barber scrambled home an equaliser following a set-piece.

Kirkley & Pakefield 6 Wisbech 1

KIRKLEY & Pakefield produced a master class in finishing to comfortably beat Wisbech in their biggest league win of the season.

With 16-year-old Elliot Hunter making his debut for Kirkley, the hosts took the lead after just 83 seconds when a curling free kick by Paul Highfield soared into the top corner from 20 yards.

Wisbech's cause was not helped when Davy Sheperd was shown a straight red card after 26 minutes for a two footed tackle on Highfield.

Soon after, Henderson sent Blyth through with an inch perfect pass to fire in number two.

Straight after the restart it was a re-run when Highfield curled in the third goal from an identical spot at the other end.

Nathan Stone clipped in number four from a good run by Blyth, before Wisbech scored a consolation goal when Rider floated the ball over Pauling.

Late on sub Danny Stokeld clipped in the fifth and he then teed up Blyth for his second.

Felixstowe & Walton 1 Swaffham 1

FOR the second time in four days The Seasiders failed to make the most of their dominance and had to settle for a point rather than the three they should have secured. Despite playing the last 40 minutes with ten men Swaffham defended doggedly as the home side lost their way and secured a deserved point from the match.

Phillips had two early chances as they controlled the game and in the 19th minute Chris Howlett scored for the Seasiders after a ten year gap to put them in front drilling home from eight yards but his side never made the most of their possession and were made to pay five minutes into the second half when Aaron Butcher curled a free kick over the wall and beyond Crump from 30 yards.

The Swaffham midfielder had been their best player but five minutes later he saw red after retaliating following an innocuous challenge but despite having the numerical advantage the home side failed to make the most of the possession and a late flurry of chances came and went with Phillips hitting the bar, Frost driving his shot wide of the target and Norris getting down well to turn away Bloomfield's effort.

Ipswich Wanderers 3 Lowestoft Town 1

RELEGATION threatened Ipswich Wanderers staged a superb second half fight back to beat Lowestoft Town on Saturday.

The visitors had gone in front after 34 minutes when Hunn cleverly evaded his marker on the by-line and squared for an unmarked Jamie Godbold to side foot home from close range.

Having not troubled the opposition keeper once in the first half, Wanderers drew level after 65 minutes when Smy's corner was headed goalwards by Buckle and Driver stabbed the ball over the line in a melee of players in the six yard box.

With ten minutes left individual skill by Smy tight on the by-line ended with him blasting the ball into the roof of the net, before the victory was sealed in the 89th minute when Culf collected a long ball to set Driver through to finish.

Woodbridge Town 1 Soham Town Rangers 1

SOHAM Town Rangers scrambled home a last minute equaliser to deny Woodbridge Town.

In an action packed first half Woodbridge almost took the lead when Jennings' well struck volley brought a superb reflex save out of Jordan and Tournay-Godrey's follow up volley hit the bar.

Soham came more into the game though and should have taken the lead after 28 minutes when O'Neil fouled Simpson but Furnell's penalty was saved by Marcus Garnham diving to his right.

Soham dominated at the start of the second half, but it was Woodbridge who took the lead in the 62nd minute when Marsh flicked on a Jennings left-wing corner and Hart poked home.

Just when it looked as though Woodbridge would hold on for all three points though Soham's Coleman scored a last-gasp equaliser following a scramble at a corner.


Cornard Utd 1 Tiptree Utd 3

TIPTREE United extended their winning sequence to 10 games when they easily defeated a poor Cornard United in atrocious conditions at Blackhorse Lane on Friday evening.

Manager Colin Wallington was forced to change his team plans at the last minute, but a brace from Lee Owen and one from Tommy Noble ensured the three points.

Tiptree took a deserved lead after 26 minutes when a back-heel flick by Noble released Owen on the left and he placed a right-foot shot in the far corner of the net.

Within two minutes a deep Cornard free kick found an unmarked Meadows who drilled the ball home for the equaliser.

English saw a 38th-minute attempt ruled out for offside, but a minute later they regained their lead when Tom Noble finished first time following a great move involving Owen and English.

Tiptree made all three points safe after 77 minutes when Owen latched onto a half-clearance, side-stepped a defender and fired a shot into the net.

Godmanchester 0 Halstead 6

ROSS Barton led the charge with a hat-trick as Halstead gained adequate revenge for their home defeat by Godmanchester Rovers.

The Essex side's biggest away league success since the 8-0 romp at Fakenham in October 2003 moved them up to fifth spot.

Halstead had to wait until five minutes before the break when Danny Rowell was in the right spot to turn home a low cross from defender Phil Battell.

The second half proved to be one-way traffic for the visitors.

Abrahams wriggled clear to send Barton on the way for the second goal. Skipper Steve Daly fired home the third from the edge of the box, before the best goal of the game came when Barton cut inside and curled home a fine left-foot shot.

Halstead struck twice more in the last five minutes, Abrahams freeing Barton to complete his hat-trick before Danny Cooper drove home a low cross from Rowell.

Stowmarket Town 7 Fakenham 1

STRUGGLING Stowmarket Town thrashed bottom-placed Fakenham Town on the day their players were informed that Dave Hubbick had resigned as manager.

Having been beaten 9-2 by Diss in midweek, the home side were desperate to get back to winning ways and they got the ideal start when Fakenham's Raisbury turned the ball past his own keeper after 12 minutes.

Dellar doubled the lead after 24 minutes with a shot from outside the area, before Ward crashed in a shot of his own from 25 yards minutes later for 3-0. The home side continued to pour forward and Cracknell made it four after 40 minutes.

Further goals followed from Platt a Cracknell penalty and one from Head, who scored from the rebound after Cracknell's header had hit the bar.

Fakenham, who had hardly been in the home penalty area, then scored with virtually the last kick of the game, Whittred heading home a corner.

Louis Newman takes charge of Stowmarket today and will be assisted by John Griffen.

Downham Town 0 Debenham LC 1

IAN Gedny returned from injury to grab the winner that took the Hornets to within three points of a promotion place with games in hand on their rivals.

Up until the goal, keepers Ally McAnally and Craig Ellis had done their best to ensure the game was heading for a third successive goalless draw between these two sides at the Recreation Ground.

However, 19 minutes from time Gedny latched onto a mistake by Wayne Anderson to drill the ball low past McAnally.

The otherwise excellent Garry Pratt deflected a centre from Rob Howling against his own cross bar, while the visitors could have extended their winning margin as Rob Canfer saw a header cleared off the line and substitute Kieron Teeder sent a close range effort over the bar.


Whitton United 1 Leiston St Margarets 2

SIL high-flyers Leiston St Margarets rode their luck to put higher-ranked opponents Whitton United out of the cup on Saturday.

Ridegons League Division One side Whitton started well and they saw a strong penalty shout waved away before Chris Williams hit the bar from just outside the area.

Daniel Threadkell cleared a Williams header off the line before Whitton eventually made their superior possession tell after 34 minutes when Chris Williams leapt high to head in past Vincent.

Leiston continued to ride their luck up to the break, but immediately equalised upon the restart when Spatchett latched onto a long ball, shrugged off a challenge from Hyde and buried the ball.

Despite having at least 90% of possession and a huge number of efforts on goal, Whitton could only get the ball in the net once and that attempt was ruled offside.

Some courageous defending from Threadkell and Chris Wright denied Whitton time and again, with Smith clearing an Anton Clarke header off the line.

The counter attack was always a possibility and, with extra time looming, Spatchett latched onto a launched ball and slipped it past Beal in the first minute of injury time to give the win to Leiston.

Grundisburgh 2 Melton St Audry's 1

TWOfirst-half goals proved enough for Grundisburgh to beat Melton St Audrys and book a place in the semi-finals.

The hosts peppered Melton's goal in the opening half to take a 2-0 lead into the break. Only the goalkeeping skills of Melton's Glyn Dixon, including two exceptional saves, kept the scoreline down.

Karl Sandilands drilled in the opening goal after 13 minutes, while David Grimwood applied the vital touch to Sandilands' low cross after 33 minutes.

Melton reduced the deficit after 54 minutes when Jay Churchyard started and finished a move to set-up a battle royal.

Lee Grimwood constantly kept the Melton defence busy, but with both keepers in good form Grundisburgh held onto their lead.

Grundisburgh will now meet Leiston St Margarets in the semi-final.

Long Melford 0 Hadleigh United 2

HADLEIGH maintained the form book to run out worthy winners against a plucky Long Melford team in this derby cup tie.

The Brettsiders bossed the first half as Melford were put under considerable periods of pressure, however some poor finishing and brave goalkeeping kept the Melford goal intact.

The deadlock was finally broken after 32 minutes when the ball was bundled into the net off the shoulder of Rose following a whipped in free kick.

Melford were then unlucky not to level straight away as Daw cut in from the left and cracked a great shot off the post which was then cleared off the line.

Hadleigh struck again just before the half time whistle when, from an avoidable corner, the ball rebounded around the Melford box before Payne's scuffed shot found the net.

Melford seemed to have a revived flair to their football after the break, but they were unable to find a breakthrough as Grindrod saw a free kick go just inches over the bar.

Brantham Athletic 1 Stonham Aspal 0

A SCRAPPY Patrick Brothers goal just after the break saw Brantham Athletic beat Stonham Aspal and progress to the semi-finals.

Stonham started to knock the ball about early on and at times Brantham had to defend in depth, however good work coming from Claxton, Brothers and Kieran Lawler saw the host come back into the game.

After James Horsfall had powered a header just over the bar, Brantham broke the deadlock two minutes after the restart in strange fashion.

With Stonham looking for an offside flag that did not come, a hasty clearance rebounded off Brothers and into the net.


Diss 4 Dereham 5 aet

A penalty in the last minute of extra time from Adam Gusterson sent Dereham through to the semi-finals in this pulsating tie.

Danny Partridge put Diss in front after 17 minutes from close range, before Craig Terrington equalised for the visitors with a low 20 yard drive after 35 minutes.

Nicky Howell gave Dereham the lead five minutes later, but Dale Vince levelled matters right on half time from the spot after Wilson dragged down Partridge when he was through on goal.

Partridge then put Diss ahead 20 seconds after the restart, having outpaced the visitors' defence, but Gusterson headed home Terrington's free kick two minutes from time.

In extra time Olly Willis struck a tremendous 25 yard piledriver into the top corner to make it 4-3 to the visitors, only for Steve Best to equalise four minutes later having beaten the offside trap.

Norman and Vince had chances to win it for Diss before Andrews was deemed to have brought down Howell in the area and Gusterson converted the spot kick.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter