North Stander: We’ve gone from ‘Boring, Boring, Ipswich’ to the Great Entertainers!
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Excuse me, I’m just going to take another look at the Championship table.
Yep, there we are, in second place on goal difference, four wins out of four, and top scorers in the division. It wasn’t a dream...
To all those people who are saying “Don’t get carried away,” my response is “After last season, I am getting well and truly carried away while I can!”
I really thought the bubble would burst against Brentford. They are – theoretically, anyway – the strongest opposition we’ve come up against so far, and we had no fit centre-backs. Hence I feared a bit of a ‘slapping’, as Mick McCarthy would say.
But, against all the odds, our makeshift back four (and Bart, of course) kept a clean sheet, and the boys at the other end did the business as they seem to every game. Rangers fans must be looking at the exploits of Garner and Waghorn with a good deal of envy. I see they drew 0-0 at home yesterday. But what great business for us.
You may also want to watch:
For all our bad luck with injuries and illness off the pitch, we seem to be getting our fair share of good fortune during games. In just about every league match so far we’ve been decidedly second best in the first half, but somehow survived and stayed in it before nicking the win.
Fair play to the quartet who made up the back four on Saturday. Knudsen, in particular, looks more comfortable as a left-sided centre-back than he does as an out-and-out full-back. Maybe that’s where his future lies.
- 1 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 5 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 6 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 8 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Get lost in two sunflower mazes at this Suffolk farm
Two games against London teams this week. I guess we can’t grumble if Mick plays the kids against Palace in the Unpronounceable Cup tomorrow night. He really has no option – he can’t risk any more injuries among the senior players. It will be good to see Emyr Huws make an appearance.
Then Fulham at Fortress Portman Road on Saturday. A few weeks ago, we would have been full of trepidation but now I’m really looking forward to another good test.
The only slight downside from Saturday was a disappointingly small crowd. After our start, I was expecting 20,000 or so. I guess it is peak holiday time, and it might take a little longer for some people to forget about last season’s almost non-stop tedium. But, at the moment, it’s great fun. We’ve gone from Boring, Boring, Ipswich to the Great Entertainers. Great to see!