Nottingham Forest are in talks with Ipswich Town regarding a deadline day deal for Luke Chambers
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
The EADT and Ipswich Star understands that Nottingham Forest are in talks with Ipswich Town regarding a deadline day deal for skipper Luke Chambers.
We can corroborate earlier reports by Sky Sports and the Nottingham Post which stated that Forest’s interim boss Gary Brazil is keen to bring the 31-year-old defender back to The City Ground ahead of the transfer window closing at 11pm tonight.
Chambers spent three years at Forest between 2007 and 2012, playing more than 200 times for the East Midlands club. He left the Reds under a cloud after criticising the fans, moving to Portman Road under Paul Jewell’s management when his contract expired.
Described by Mick McCarthy as one of the best captain he has worked with, Chambers has been a virtual ever-present for Town over the last four-and-a-half seasons – mainly in his unfavoured role of right-back.
Speaking to the EADT and Ipswich Star in August 2015, Chambers said: “I had some great times at (Nottingham) Forest, but one of the toughest times of my career was my last season there.
“Everything at the club was going wrong, the chairman passed away and things went completely downhill.”
He added: “I’m settled here, my family – who are my utmost priority – are happy and this is home.
You may also want to watch:
“The lads say ‘what you doing this weekend, are you going home?’ And I say ‘this is my home’. I could happily finish my career here. In fact, I could see us living in our house for the rest of my life.”
However, he recently admitted he was miffed that the club had not started talks about a new contract . In the same brutally honest interview he hinted at frustrations over a lack of incoming transfers at Portman Road. His current deal is set to expire in the summer and Town have not said whether they will be taking up their option of extending by an extra year.
Fellow Town defender Christophe Berra is also set to be out of contract in the summer and has been linked with a return to his former club Hearts. The Blues’ other central defensive options are Paul Digby, Tommy Smith (just back in training after back surgery) and new signing Steven Taylor, whose deal still requires international clearance.
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 6 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 7 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 8 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 9 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 10 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
Blues boss McCarthy has made five low-budget signings this month – Jordan Spence, STaylor, Toumani Diagouraga, Danny Rowe and Kieffer Moore – but had several seven-figure bids for strikers rejected. The Blues, who host Derby in a Championship clash this evening, are still working on trying to get a Daryl Murphy replacement in the building before 11pm.
Town are understood to have made bids for Jordan Hugill (Preston), Marley Watkins (Barnsley) and Danny Ward (Rotherham) this month, while they have tracked Omar Bogle (Grimsby).