Old Southendians II 4 Clacton 4

NE14Hockey East Men's LeagueDivision Four South East Old Southendians II 4 Clacton 4CLACTON put in a sturdy performance to come away with a damage limitation draw in a game that they could easily have lost.

NE14Hockey East Men's League

Division Four South East

Old Southendians II 4 Clacton 4

CLACTON put in a sturdy performance to come away with a damage limitation draw in a game that they could easily have lost. The Seasiders had a few players missing but unlike when they travelled to Havering with a reduced team they were unable to find the same performance.

You may also want to watch:

Critically Clacton's first touch was shown up on a fast pitch and with the home team battling for points at the wrong end of the table they were the ones hungrier to pounce on the small mistakes and turn them into goals. At times it was a cruel lesson to the Clacton players how important the first touch is, but with the Seasiders looking to progress up the divisions it's crucial that players learn before next season's battle commences.

Colin Hook was a grateful return stepping in at sweeper with Gavin Underhay, Ryan Nippress, and Casper Khan working tirelessly to keep the home side out. In midfield James Mead, Phil Herr and Carl Parkes struggled to get into a flowing performance and were unable to feed the strike force of Denzil Donovan, Rik Coleman, and Francis Sanderson. In goal Mike Key made a couple of crucial saves to ensure Clacton came away with a hard earned point.

Most Read

The Seasiders looked to have weathered the early storm when they earned a penalty with their first attack which Coleman dispatched neatly into the net, but the home side didn't let their heads down and were soon level. Donovan then stole the ball off the defence and went into the circle to earn a short corner that Coleman dispatched into the corner for a 2-1 lead at half time.

The second half saw some exciting hockey, if it wasn't the prettiest, first the home side scored two goals in two minutes to go 3-2 up, and then 10 minutes later Parkes and then Mead scored two in two minutes for Clacton to put the Seasiders back in the driving seat with 10 minutes remaining.

The home side continued to show good spirit and again failed to lay down and got their luck when a snap shot bounced around off various Clacton players before finding its way passed the bewildered Key for a final score of 4-4.

Next week Clacton take on Witham at Clacton Leisure Centre (2pm) looking to get back to winning ways and ensure they don't hand any more hope to the chasing pack.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter