Our best result of season, says Ward
COLCHESTER United manager John Ward has hailed his side’s come-from-behind 2-1 home victory over Notts County this afternoon as their ‘best result of the season’.
The U’s were poor in the first half and somewhat fortunate to trail by just Craig Westcarr’s eighth minute opener come the interval, with sections of the frustarted home crowd booing their side off at the break.
The introduction of striker Kayode Odejayi and a switch to a 4-4-2 formation in the 38th minute completely changed the game though as the Nigerian substitute twice headed home from Tom Williams deliveries in the latter stages to flip the match on its head.
“This is our best victory of the season without doubt,” said Ward, whose side are back up into sixth place.
“We had to dig ourselves out of a problem in the first half, we made our changes and the boys responded extremely well.
You may also want to watch:
“The second half was excellent. We kept our nerve, continued playing our football and managed to win the game.
“We’ve showed a lot of bottle and character today and everybody in that dressing room can be really pleased with themselves.”
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 6 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 7 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 8 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 9 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill
- 10 Shoplifter caught stealing £829 worth of alcohol from Sainsbury's
– More match reaction, including an interview with goal-scorer Kayode Odejayi, in Monday’s EADT.