Patience pays off
Ridgeons League first DivisionLong Melford 0Haverhill Rovers 3As the sun shone down, and the sound of the leather against willow from the adjacent cricket ground rang out, it was quite clear from the body language of both teams that the end of the season was looming.
Ridgeons League first Division
Long Melford 0
Haverhill Rovers 3
As the sun shone down, and the sound of the leather against willow from the adjacent cricket ground rang out, it was quite clear from the body language of both teams that the end of the season was looming.
You may also want to watch:
The first half saw Haverhill almost totally in control.
Two early mistakes in the Melford defence saw Shearer fire wide and Palmer put his effort over the bar. Soon after Kent was free in the box but wildly hit the ball over the Melford bar.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 6 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 9 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 10 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
The first goal came on 34 minutes when a needless free kick was conceded by Melford just outside the box and Palmer fired the ball with great aplomb into the top corner of the net.
Melford registered the odd attack with Norton as usual providing some work for the defence. Four minutes later Haverhill increased their lead with the Melford defence static Hewson threaded a pass through to the unmarked Shearer and he fired home via a post.
Ten minutes into the second half John Taylor came on for Melford and at last the Villagers started to click, with Bavester having to save from Powling and Walker in quick succession and
In another good attack Taylor floated the ball to Radford who backflicked the ball just past the post with Bavester beaten.
On 78 minutes one of the finest efforts of the game came from Norton receiving the ball with his back to goal the Melford youngster swivelled and fired in a goalbound shot that Bavester did well to tip over the bar.
Five minutes before the end Haverhill broke quickly down the left flank Welsh knocked in an excellent ball to the far post and there was Kent for a simple tap in from close range.