Ipswich Town management target Paul Cook signs new deal at Wigan Athletic
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Another of the front-runners for the vacant Ipswich Town manager’s job seems to be out of the race, as Paul Cook has signed a new deal with League One champions Wigan Athletic.
Cook, who was briefly the favourite for the job having led the Latics back to the Championship, has inked a four-year contract with the club after a season which also saw them see off Manchester City in the FA Cup.
While he’s still listed as the 11/1 fifth favourite for the Portman Road hotseat with Skybet, that now seems highly unlikely.
He said:“I sit here very proud of the success we have enjoyed this season but in equal measure aware of the challenges we face moving forwards into the Championship - an exciting challenge.”
Shrewsbury boss Paul Hurst remains the odds-on favourite for the Town job, listed at 4/7, with Shefki Kuqi (7/1) and Tim Sherwood (15/2) some way behind in the betting.
You may also want to watch:
Cook joins Lincoln boss Danny Cowley as a former favourite now apparently out of the running after signing a new deal, while Steven Gerrard, who was linked with the job after Mick McCarthy departed, is the new boss at Rangers.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 3 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 4 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 5 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 Five floating restaurants to visit in Suffolk
- 8 North Stander: Norwich will be back in Championship - can we join them?
- 9 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood