Peter Siddle injury blow for Essex
ESSEX are reeling from the news that Australian fast bowler Peter Siddle will not be available for the Friends Life t20 competition this summer due to injury.
The quick bowler returned early from the Australian tour of the West Indies after complaining of some lower back soreness.
Essex understand that there are no long-term fitness concerns, however the fact that Siddle will require a month of rest before commencing a rehabilitation programme has made it impossible for him to take part in the tournament this year.
Paul Grayson, the Essex head coach, outlined the plans to recruit another overseas player.
“We are very disappointed Peter can’t make it to Essex following his injury. We understand that when we sign any overseas player that there is a risk of an injury or international duty so we now have to look at other options with a Plan B for another overseas bowler.”
The club said they are now considering their options for his replacement and wish Siddle a full and speedy recovery.
Essex announced last Friday that 32-year-old New Zealand all-rounder James Franklin is to be their other overseas player for this season’s Friends Life t20 competition.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 6 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 7 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143