Peterborough 2 Magpies II 2
NE14 Hockey Men's East League
City of Peterborough 2 Harleston Magpies II 2
HARLESTON Magpies Men's seconds gained a point away to City of Peterborough in a 2-2 draw. Magpies took an early lead through Richard Ling who slotted home from close range and were playing classic Magpies' hockey which Peterborough could not handle.
Despite going 1-0 up, Magpies struggled to continue the pressure and Peterborough drew level with a penalty corner which was initially saved but the rebound fell nicely to a Peterborough to slot home. Having been pulled back level it was Peterborough who then looked the more dangerous side with their physical nature too much to handle sometimes for Magpies.
Peterborough then went 2-1 up quickly after when a deflected shot evaded the entire Magpies defence and fell to a Peterborough player at the far post. Peterborough had more chances before the half was out to increase their lead but some good Magpies defence and a sturdy post meant that it was 2-1 at half time.
The second half was more equal with Magpies pushing to find the re-equalising goal and hopefully the winning. But despite this pressure Magpies could not force their way through a strong Peterborough back line and when they did they found an ex-Magpies player in their way.
- 1 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 6 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
Both teams had chances to score in the second half but it was Magpies who equalised with 10 minutes to go in the game when Robbie Kinsella fired home from the top of 'D'. With the scores now level Magpies pushed forward looking to take all three points. Magpies thought they had sneaked victory when Simon Hipwells shot was deflected in by a Peterborough player only for the shot to have been ruled that it was from outside the 'D'.
Man of the match went to Dan Legg for a solid performance at centre back. Next week the seconds are at home to Ipswich II, in a local derby with a lot to play for with both sides needing three points.
Thanks go to Hamish Barton who has now unfortunately played his last game of the season for Magpies, he'll be missed in both attack and defence.