Planned merger between Colchester running clubs is postponed
The planned merger between two Colchester clubs, Colchester Harriers and Colchester & Tendring AC, has been postponed.
The two athletics clubs have been holding long-term talks, with a view to merging by April 1, but the deal has fallen through, for the time being at least
Warren Page, chairman of Colchester & Tendring, announced on the CATS’ web-site last night: “I am truly sorry to have to report that Colchester Harriers have asked for the merger of the two clubs to be postponed for the time being. I have been assured that we at CATs are not at fault for this turn of events.
“The problem appears to be that certain members of the Harriers management team have reservations about the start date of the new club, and also with the independent mediator who has guided us this far. “We on the CATs committee had entered these negotiations in good faith and remain convinced that the new club could have started on April 1st.
“The opportunity for a new Colchester club to be up and running in time for this summer seems now to have slipped through our fingers.
You may also want to watch:
“Our thanks go to the Mediator Steve Absolon, from Colchester Garrison, for giving all of his time so willingly and putting in so much effort on behalf of both clubs.”
Page went on to say: “The CATs management are still committed to the idea of a single club in the Colchester area.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 3 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 4 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 5 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 6 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 7 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 8 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 9 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen
- 10 Suffolk 'can't afford' to repair or clear 700 damaged road signs
“There’s no doubting the benefits it will bring the athletes in the Town. We will await further communication from the Harriers to see where we go from here.”