Points rather than contracts are the priority for Colchester United boss John McGreal
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Colchester United have more than a dozen players whose current contracts expire this summer, but for the moment boss John McGreal is only focused on propelling the U’s up towards the play-offs.
The U’s entertain struggling Yeovil Town tomorrow afternoon, hoping to record a first win in five matches to revive their top-seven hopes. They are currently seven points adrift of the League Two play-offs.
Key players such as Kurtis Guthrie, Brennan Dickenson and Sam Walker are all out of contract this summer.
“There are so many players coming to the end of their contracts, everywhere. It’s frightening, even at this level,” explained McGreal.
“Agents have been getting in contact already, and the fact that business has to be brought forward to August 9 (new deadline for permanent deals) could have an effect. Players will want to nail down contracts quickly.
You may also want to watch:
“But at the moment we are trying to win games of football. Everyone here is at least contracted until June 30.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 6 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 8 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Town's first game of the season will be all-ticket