Rawcliffe and Beckett chosen for England under-16s
HEAD of rugby at Culford School, Dave Watkin has heaped praise on Tristan Rawcliffe after the youngster was named in the provisional 22-man squad for the England Under-16 internationals against Italy Under-17s and Wales Under-16s, writes Chris Brammer.
Rawcliffe joins St Jo’s winger Austin Beckett in the squad and will train at Abingdon School, in Oxfordshire, on March 10 and 11, playing in a match against Leicester Tigers under-17s on the second day.
“He is a super bloke and works his socks off for the squad,” said Watkin.
“Tristan does the simple things really well and does not have a weakness. He is pacy, strong and is a good decision-maker. Above all, he has a fantastic attitude.”
The Colchester player will be no doubt proud of achievement but Watkin added that, such was his modesty, Rawcliffe did not want to make a big deal out of his call-up.
You may also want to watch:
“I think he wanted to keep it quiet until he pulled on the jersey,” said Watkin.
“That sort of approach is typical of him, he is not just talented, but modest too.”
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 6 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 7 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 8 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 9 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies