Reading and Arsenal youngsters were Colchester United manager’s top loan targets
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Tarique Fosu and Glen Kamara were Colchester United first-team coach John McGreal’s top targets as the transfer window closed.
The U’s boss brought in Reading winger Fosu, 20, on-loan from the Berkshire club until January, and did a similar deal for Arsenal’s Finnish under-21 midfielder, Kamara, who is also 20, before Wednesday night’s deadline.
Fosu spent time on-loan at then-League One side Fleetwood and League Two outfit Accrington last season, while Kamara played on-loan in League One, at Southend.
“I am delighted,” said McGreal.
“We mentioned on Tuesday that we were trying to bring one or two players in and we have actually got the ones we were looking at.”
You may also want to watch:
On Fosu, who won a League Two Player of the Month award last season, McGreal added: “He (Fosu) has been successful at Fleetwood and comes with a high regard and did really well for them.
“He then went to Accrington where he scored three goals in six games.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 4 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 6 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 8 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 9 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 10 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs
“He has gone out to play. Going up North especially, to get games, you have to give credit to the boy.
“He’s going to bring a little bit of trickery to what we want to do. Drey (Wright) and Brennan (Dickenson) are out-and-out wingers, Dion (Sembie-Ferris) likes to drift a little.
“Tarique likes to drift but can also play on the inside as well so he is going to be a big asset for us.”
Kamara has made one appearance for Arsenal, in the 3-0 League Cup defeat at Sheffield Wednesday last season, and is currently with Finland Under-21s, ahead of games against Austria tonight and Germany, on Tuesday, in the UEFA Under-21 Championship.
“Glen is a central midfielder and I just thought we have just become a bit light in that area with a couple of injuries we have picked up,” McGreal explained.
“It’s another really good player to give us competition in midfield.”
Had McGreal not been able to bring in Fosu and Kamara, he would have been confident had he had to rely on his younger players.
“We can dip into the 21s, Diaz (Wright) came on the other night and he did particularly well, we have Callum Harrison coming back and Chris Regis, but it was the right time to get the player we needed,” he said
“Who knows how we are going to be affected by injuries and suspensions in the next three months.”