Reed the matchwinner as Bury Town beat Needham Market in Suffolk Premier Cup final
SAM Reed won Bury Town the LB Group Suffolk Premier Cup with a deadly double over luckless Needham Market at Portman Road.
The lethal marksman struck from close range in the 66th minute and then sealed the game with a fantastic 20-yard shot into the top corner.
The finishing prowess of the Bury number nine was the stark difference in an absorbing match as Needham were left to rue a string of missed chances in the first half.
Both goals showed Reed’s predatory instincts, the first a tap-in at the second attempt from Lee Reed’s corner before the club’s top scorer struck a beauty after running along the edge of the area.
Needham’s ultimately miserable night was capped when Lewis Pemberton was shown a straight red card after the two-goal Reed broke clear yet again.
You may also want to watch:
They will be left to think about what might have been after a first half which Bury could have gone in two or three goals behind and had little to argue about.
Nathan Stone and Craig Parker, so prolific for Needham this season, were the main culprits missing a series of chances in the opening 45 minutes.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 6 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
- See tomorrow’s EADT and Evening Star for a full match report and reaction.