Report: Ipswich Town 0 Wigan Athletic 0
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich v Wigan: Ipswich Town and Wigan Athletic played out an instantly forgettable goalless draw at Portman Road this afternoon.
In a game almost completely devoid of incident, neither keeper had a save of note to make – two hard-working sides scrapping it out in snowy conditions and on a poor playing surface.
Many spectators left early, but those who did stay to the end voiced their displeasure at the long-awaited final whistle.
Mick McCarthy’s men remain fourth in the Championship table but have lost ground on top two Bournemouth and Derby, the gap now three points, after the aforementioned duo registered victories this weekend. The cushion to seventh-place remains six points, Norwich and Wolves both drawing, but one win from the last six games in all competitions will have many concerned that Town’s promotion push is beginning to stutter.
Wigan – who battled throughout – are now seven points adrift of safety. This was only their fifth point gained from the last 10 matches, several players raising their game with manager Malky Mackay having made it clear that he has not finished a dramatic overhaul of his squad before Monday’s transfer deadline.
You may also want to watch:
Jay Tabb lashed a shot over the bar from a good position in the sixth minute, while David McGoldrick put a powderpuff header straight into Ali Al Habsi’s arms in an equally turgid second period. The closest Wigan came was when Marc Antoine-Fortune headed over the bar early on.
Town certainly missed the presence of injured 18-goal striker Daryl Murphy. In his absence they failed to change their approach, continually hitting the ball long to a strike duo of David McGoldrick and Noel Hunt – both players who like to drop deep and receive the ball to feet.
- 1 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 2 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 3 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 7 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 8 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
– See Monday’s EADT and Ipswich Star for comment and reaction.
IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-2): Bialkowski; Chambers (cpt), Smith, Berra, Mings; Anderson (Bishop, 46), Bru, Skuse, Tabb (Parr 83): McGoldrick, N.Hunt (Sears 65).
Unused subs: Kenny, Clarke, S.Hunt, Ambrose.
Booked: Smith (30).
WIGAN ATH (4-4-2): Al Habsi; Perch (cpt), Barnett, Ridgewell, Taylor; Cowie, Kvist, Huws, Waghorn (Mckay 79); Fortune, McClean.
Unused subs: Carson, Boyce, Pearce, Kiernan, Flores, Cosgrove.
Booked: Kvist (35), McClean (40), Perch (80).
Attendance: 19,155 (225 away)
Referee: Charles Breakspear