Rollercoaster ride topped by Rose rocket in 2-2 draw
Colchester United 2 Portsmouth 2
COLCHESTER United had to make do with a point following tonight’s League One thriller against Portsmouth.
Magnus Okuonghae appeared to have snatched all three points for the U’s, when he crashed home Anthony Wordsworth’s 84th minute corner.
But substitute Jordan Obita grabbed an equaliser just a minute later, with his very first touch, sweeping home the rebound after Luke Rodgers’ initial effort had struck a post.
Earlier, Michael Rose crashed home one of the best goals ever seen at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.
You may also want to watch:
Rose let fly from 30 yards out, with his trusty left boot, the ball screaming past dazed keeper Mikkel Andersen and into the top corner of the net.
It was a cracking first-time effort from the U’s left-back, after Pompey had failed to fully clear Wordsworth’s corner, delivered in first-half injury-time.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 8 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 9 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
It was also Rose’s first goal for the club.
Earlier, Pompey had taken a 29th minute lead, thanks to Luke Rodgers’ slick finish from Liam Walker’s defence-splitting through ball.
The U’s had received a boost before kick off with Gavin Massey signing from Watford on a three-year deal. The winger-cum-striker had played eight games on loan for the U’s last season.
COLCHESTER: Cousins, Wilson, Okuonghae, Heath, Rose, Bean, O’Toole (sub Bond, 82), Henderson, Wordsworth, Sears, Morrison (sub Wright, 79). Unused subs: Duguid, Eastman, White, Gilbey, Pentney.
PORTSMOUTH: Andersen, Dumbuya, Connelly, Long, Harley, Walker, Williamson (sub Webster, 34), Howard, Compton (sub Obita, 84), Rodgers, McLeod. Unused subs: Eastwood, Harris, Clifford, Djilali.
Referee: L Collins
Attendance: 4,335 (1,114 away fans)