Round-up: Five-star Grundisburgh secure victory at Bungay in Suffolk Senior Cup


- Credit: James Ager

Reports from this weekend’s Suffolk Senior Cup.

First Round Bungay Town 0 Grundisburgh 5

Bungay’s wretched record in the Senior Cup continued after Grundisburgh left Maltings Meadow with an emphatic 5-0 win.

It took Grundisburgh just two minutes to take the lead, Childs’ corner from the right headed home by Fike in the six-yard box.

In the 19th minute it was two when Fike fed the overlapping Wright on the right who went past two defenders before crossing for Morris to fire home.

Childs’ free-kick was tipped over by Shaw and from his corner on the right Morris forced the ball home at the far post.

Bungay started the second half better as Mirner crossed from the left to Bliss at the far post, but his shot was blocked.

Most Read

After Matthews won a header in the middle, Morris laid the ball into the path of Fike who scored again in the 55th minute.

In time added on Prime got in on the goalscoring action, adding the fifth when he headed home off the post.

Lakenheath 1 Bramford United 5

Early exchanges saw both defences tested as cup-holders Lakenheath looked to stamp their mark on this match but ultimately the visitors caused an opening-round upset.

The match was turned on its head when an accurately-placed free-kick on 14 minutes for Bramford saw Harvey’s misplaced header go in past his stranded ‘keeper as he tried to put out for a corner.

On 32 minutes Bramford attacked from a clearance with Munson being brought down just inside the area – P Dodsworth converted the spot kick.

Lakenheath still pressed with Bramford having to defend deeply but allowed Catchpole to break through just before half-time to fire in a low shot.

Bramford increased their lead on 64 minutes when Golding broke down the left, he found Dilloway who set up Alexander to score at the far post. Nine minutes later Bramford got their fourth courtesy of substitute Evans.

Bramford sealed the empathic win when Alexander broke clear, rounded the advancing Barlow and fired into an empty net.

Capel Plough 2 AFC Sudbury Res 3

It was the visitors who went through to the next round after a close game.

Tom Williams put his side in front after ten minutes. He ran 50 yards and beat three defenders before firing into the corner.

Collins equalised two minutes later after his shot slipped through ‘keeper Louis Johnson’s hands into the net.

Both teams created chances before Tyler French put the visitors back in front, firing home following a free-kick after half an hour.

The home side dominated the second half with the wind behind them, forcing 10 corners and missing several chances.

However the young visitors went further in front with ten minutes remaining when Ollie Peters slotted home from 15 yards.

Barrett pulled one back a minute later, shooting into the top corner, before Johnson made a brilliant save to tip-over a Collins header and Webb headed wide as the visitors held on to progress to the second round.

Wickham Market 1 Haverhill Borough 3

After extra time

Two extra-time goals secured Haverhill Borough’s progress into the next round of the Suffolk Senior Cup.

Borough started the stronger of the two sides but their dominance began to wane when, on 27 minutes, visiting ‘keeper Charlie Turner was left helpless as Sam Cresswell cut in from the left and sent a curling right foot shot into the top of the net to give the hosts a surprise lead.

The equaliser came in the 67th minute when Craig Pruden scored with a fine left-footed volley.

With the scores level after 90 minutes extra-time was needed to separate the sides.

Borough took the lead when winger Matt Stains collected the ball in the penalty area and fired home.

When Danny Shipton limped off with a turned ankle Wickham threw everyone forward at a rare corner. However Borough defended it and broke quickly, allowing Ryan Swallow to shoot from the half-way line as back-tracking defenders could only look on, the ball bouncing once before nestling in the net for the visitors’ third goal.

Westerfield United 4 Woodbridge Town 3

Westerfield United fought back from 2-1 down to knock Woodbridge Town out of the Suffolk Senior Cup.

Woodbridge took the lead after 20 minutes when Niki Shopov’s accurate cross found Greggor and his shot beat home ‘keeper Connor Banthorpe.

Westerfield equalised after 23 minutes when Ryan Swift’s cross found the net and just beat Lay Fulcher.

On the half hour the Woodpeckers made it 2-1 when Greggor’s excellent free kick hit the post, Jake Green was first to the rebound to easily beat Banthorpe.

Westerfield equalised again after 53 minutes with Nick Woolnough’s effort from close range.

The away side went ahead again after 61 minutes with a superb finish from 20 yards from George Watson.

Nick Richardson’s corner after 65 minutes was headed in by Zak Walker to make it 3-3.

Sam Horn made it 4-3 for the home side from close-range after 81 minutes to seal this first round tie for the home side.

Achilles 2 Team Bury 1

Achilles opened the scoring on the half hour through leading scorer Liam Hillyard, whose shot from well outside the area nestled in the bottom corner of the goal.

A young Team Bury side showed some neat touches on the ball and defended well but created few chances until the 70th minute when Cam Nicholls found space in the inside right channel and finished emphatically for the equaliser.

Achilles made changes and brought on veteran marksman Andy Coote who headed home Matt Ryland’s well directed free kick for the winner.

Team Bury pressed for the equaliser but despite a number of corners were unable to trouble the home ‘keeper.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter