Middlesbrough v Ipswich Town nostalgia: Keane’s men open season with impressive Riverside win
- Credit: BLADES SPORTS PHOTOGRAPHY
In this week’s nostalgia, we travel back to the opening day of the 2010/11 campaign when the Blues secured an impressive victory at Middlesbrough
It all started so well for Ipswich Town in the 2010/11 season, as Roy Keane’s side got up and running with a 3-1 opening-day victory at promotion favourites Middlesbrough.
The former Manchester United captain was entering his second full season as the Blues’ manager and started with a win, as goals from Tommy Smith, Tamas Priskin and Jon Stead secured the win.
They had to do things the hard way at the Riverside, after Scott McDonald’s opener, but Smith levelled the scores before Priskin headed home a Carlos Edwards cross just a minute later.
Stead completed the victory to seal the points with what was his final Ipswich goal before he was sold to Bristol City, while Jon Walters’ played his final game before his switch to Stoke.
You may also want to watch:
The early-season promise was not realised as inconsistency cost Keane his job in January, leaving Paul Jewell to guide the Blues to a 13th-place finish.
Middlesbrough: Coyne, Hoyte (Kink 60), Bates, Wheater, McManus, Thomson, Bailey, Flood (Arca 11), Robson, McDonald, Boyd
- 1 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 2 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 3 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 4 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 5 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 6 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 7 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 9 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 10 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
Subs not used: Steele. Grounds, Lita, Miller, Williams
Ipswich: Fulop, Peters, McAuley, Smith, Kennedy (Ainsley 89); Edwards (Lambe 64), Hyam, Norris, Leadbitter; Priskin (Stead 74), Walters
Subs not used: Murphy, Brown, Healy, Hourihane