Rugby Union round-up: Colchester aiming to preserve perfect record in 2016
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester aim to preserve their perfect record in 2016 when they visit East Grinstead, in National 3, this afternoon.
Anthony O’Riordan’s side have won their last five league games, stretching back to January 9 – their last defeat coming on December 19, away to London Irish Wild Geese.
Their current spell of good form has dragged them away from the bottom end of the table and towards a mid-table position, no mean feat for a side embarking on their first-ever season at National League level, following promotion from London 3 last spring.
They may have their work cut out today though against third-placed East Grinstead – the West Sussex side have lost just one of their eight home games this season.
However, Colchester will be feeling confident, given their run of form and an 18-17 victory in the corresponding fixture, at the start of November.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere today, fourth-bottom Chelmsford face a stern test away at joint-leaders, Amersham & Chiltern in London 1 North.
The teams last met in November with hosts Chelmsford suffering a heavy 59-10 defeat.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 5 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 8 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
- 9 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
- 10 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
In London 2, Ipswich go away to Rochford Hundred, aiming to repeat their 20-10 victory from earlier in the season, while third-placed Sudbury face league leaders Saffron Walden.
Earlier in the season, Sudbury left Saffron empty-handed, losing 19-0.
London 3 North, meanwhile, sees Lowestoft & Yarmouth play at home to West Norfolk, Southwold go to Old Cooperians and Stowmarket entertain Wanstead.
In Eastern Counties 1, Woodbridge Warriors travel to Ely, Thetford visit Ipswich YM, Thurston host Crusaders and Mersea Island are on the road at Wisbech.