Ryan Collins and Clair Westlake win titles at Ipswich and District Table Tennis Championships
At the end of another exciting weekend, the Ipswich and District Table Tennis Championships concluded at the Corn Exchange with Ryan Collins retaining his Men’s title for the fifth year running, whilst Clair Westlake won the Ladies title for the second time.
Up against Katherine Shaw, who had already taken the Junior Girls title against a rapidly improving Hannah Page, Westlake dominated early in the match and then held off Shaw’s strong response to win in four sets.
Men’s first seed Ryan once again beat off the challenge of his brother and second seed Jake, in what was an entertaining display of powerful topspin and controlled defence from both players.
The Men’s Doubles saw Ryan and Jake claim their tenth title as they held off the experienced pair of Richard Hutchinson and Andy Warner, whilst in the Ladies event last year’s runners-up Sonja Talbot and Rosemary Curtis proved too strong for previous winners Westlake and Karen Pengelly.
In other events, the mixed doubles was won by Jake Collins and Sonja Talbot, whilst the Veteran’s Final saw Andy Warner beat Wayne Shaw to take his ninth title in the event.
You may also want to watch:
The Junior Boys final saw Dan Shelley win his fourth title but he needed to dig deep to beat the impressive James Davies-Stokes, whilst the Cadet event saw Luke Davies-Stokes narrowly beat Alex Attew 14-12 in the deciding set. All four players are ones to keep an eye on for the future.
A huge well done to all who took part, and special thanks must go to the Mayor of Ipswich for presenting the trophies, David Mann from BBC Radio Suffolk who kindly compared Finals Night, and to our sponsors Chips Away, Sampson Blinds and JM Finn & Co for providing their financial support.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
Men’s Final: Ryan Collins bt Jake Collins
Ladies Final: Clair Westlake bt Katherine Shaw
Men’s Doubles: Ryan Collins & Jake Collins bt Richard Hutchinson & Andy Warner
Ladies Doubles: Rosemary Curtis & Sonja Talbot bt Clair Westlake & Karen Pengelly
Mixed doubles: Jake Collins & Sonja Talbot bt Ryan Collins & Clair Westlake
Junior Final: Daniel Shelley bt James Davies-Stokes
Restricted Final: Sylvain Floury bt Rex Manning
Veterans: Andy Warner bt Wayne Shaw
Junior Doubles: Luke Davies-Stokes & Alex Attew bt Tom Clarke & Lucy Curtis
Super Vets: Andy Holmes bt Ken Lewis
Premier: Andy Mann bt Wu Dong Lui
Cadet Singles: Luke Davies-Stokes bt Alex Attew
Girls Singles: Katherine Shaw bt Hannah Page
Division 1: Ken Lewis bt Rob Wood
Division 2: Conrad Simons bt Mark Seymour
Division 3: Kevin Cordell bt Winsley Williams