‘Sammie has got to rest up’ – John McGreal on Sammie Szmodics
- Credit: Richard Blaxall / Colchester United
Two of Colchester United’s big-name players, Sammie Szmodics and Kurtis Guthrie, both missed out on Saturday’s dismal 1-0 defeat at lowly Crewe.
The U’s delivered a very flat performance at Gresty Road, and so could certainly have done with the presence of leading scorer Szmodics and front-runner Guthrie in their ranks.
“Sammie has got a back injury,” revealed U’s boss John McGreal. “He has been suffering from a sore back for a number of weeks.
“He comes on and does a cameo, and then it tends to lock up.
“Sammie’s been to the chiropractor and he has got to rest up. I don’t know how long that will be for.”
You may also want to watch:
Guthrie sustained an ankle injury during the 1-1 draw at Carlisle the previous week.
“Kurtis couldn’t make it today,” confirmed McGreal.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 9 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 10 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
“He has had extra treatment over the weekend, and we will see what next week brings, but I’m not too hopeful.”