Seager has to settle for third place
GAVIN Seager from Ipswich had to settle for third place in the 2007 pickup truck racing championship. He was competing at Brands Hatch over the weekend looking to win the title and become the first driver to win it on three occasions.
GAVIN Seager from Ipswich had to settle for third place in the 2007 pickup truck racing championship.
He was competing at Brands Hatch over the weekend looking to win the title and become the first driver to win it on three occasions.
Going to the last rounds of this year's championship, Seager was in third place in the championship but, with two races ahead of him, the crown was still in his grasp.
Bright winter sunshine was the order of the day as the pickups went out to qualify on the 1.19 mile circuit. With some fast straights, followed by some of the fastest corners in the world, Seager had to make sure of a good qualifying time.
The Ipswich man didn't disappoint as he became the first man in pickup racing history to go around the Brands Hatch Indy circuit in under 53 seconds which gave him an average speed of over 81mph. After qualifying, the pickup went back to the pit garage to be race prepared for the two races lying ahead on Sunday.
Fog around the Kent circuit made way for bright sunshine as the pickups came out for the rolling start. As the pace car went into the pits, the race was underway and there was to be 18 laps of fast action racing ahead of them. Seager was driving with a lot of control and was making sure that he kept the racing line.
- 1 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 3 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
- 4 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 5 More than 550 homes without power as fallen tree takes down overhead cables
- 6 'Peaceful' Suffolk coastal town named one of the best in the UK
- 7 Woman in 70s dies in hospital after serious crash in east Suffolk
- 8 New homes plan submitted for controversial Suffolk site
- 9 Five new flats to replace redundant builder's yard
- 10 Woodbridge café adds extra outside seats due to high demand from customers
As the laps were rolling by, it was a two pickup race between Seager and one of the main title contenders, Steve Dance.
As they approached the final corner, the two pickups were so close it could go to a photo finish Dance took the win although Seager did have the consolation of having the fastest lap of the race.
The final race of the year was to be slightly shortened to 14 laps due to a previous race having a problem and daylight was going to be a problem with the shortening days of winter.
Once again, Seager was quick off the line but, as hard as he was racing, he couldn't shake off the bright green pickup of Dance. Seager started to pull away and took yet another win. Dance had maintained his second place.
When the points for the season were totalled up Seager took As the third placed in the championship.
It was a good season for Seager, having also been runner-up in the Rockingham championship.
The pickup will be fully rebuilt ready for the 2008 championship where Seager will try again to become the first driver to win three titles.