Danny Smith at the double to fire Framlingham Town through in FA Vase
- Credit: Archant
FA Vase First Round Framlingham Town 2 Cockfosters 0 Danny Smith struck either side of half-time to take Fram into the second round of the FA Vase for the first time in their history at a windy Badingham Road, writes Dave Meeson.
However, even though the home side played some excellent stuff at times Cockfosters will think they could have got something out of the tie having struck the woodwork on three occasions.
Fram started on the front foot with Johnny Kerridge heading Ant Johnson’s deep free kick narrowly wide. Back came Cockfosters and Sam Chilvers was forced to tip over a fierce drive from Piero Bagarone.
The visitors began to push forward but it was the Castlemen who took the lead just after the half hour as Josh Kerridge set Jake Taylor free down the right and the latter’s cross was clinically converted at the near post by Smith.
The Spartan South Midlands League visitors went close to equalizing almost immediately as Bagarone hit a low drive which came back off the post.
You may also want to watch:
Just before the break it was Fram’s turn to hit the frame of the goal with the impressive Cyrus Thorpe thumping an angled drive against the post.
Chances continued at a pace after the interval and the North London side were inches away again as Peter Rosemin headed Bagarone’s cross onto the post.
- 1 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 4 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 5 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 6 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 7 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
- 8 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 10 Mega theme park plans 'could add to Essex traffic problems'
Fram then went straight up the other end going further ahead on 50 minutes as Smith latched on to a long ball before holding off a defender and rolling his effort into the corner.
The visitors continued to threaten with Rosemin and Panny Boxer going close. However, Thorpe could have finished the game off for the hosts only for Lee Walker in the visitors’ goal to produce a brilliant stop from close range. Walker then saved again to deny Smith his hat-trick.
Cockfosters were still not finished with Bagarone striking the post yet again. Chilvers then made a great stop from Evaristo Kitoko right at the death to preserve the clean sheet for Mel Aldis’ men as they defeated another side from higher up the football pyramid to continue their history-making season.
FA Vase First Round
Framlingham Town 2