Southee signs for Essex
ESSEX today confirmed the signing of New Zealand international Tim Southee for the 2011 Friends Life t20 campaign.
The appointment is subject to formal approval from the New Zealand Cricket Board and him obtaining the necessary working visa. Southee will join up with the Essex squad for the first Friends Life t20 fixture against Gloucestershire Gladiators on Friday June 3.
Southee, 22, will join fellow compatriot Scott Styris at The Ford County Ground after their return from the IPL, in which they are both representing the Chennai Super Kings.
The New Zealander is a renowned right-hand medium-fast bowler having played 51 ODIs for the Black Caps, and taking 70 wickets. His best ODI bowling figures came in January this year when he picked up 5 for 33 against Pakistan in Wellington, New Zealand.
Essex Head Coach, Paul Grayson said: “We are delighted to be able to add Tim to the squad for the FL t20 campaign. His experience will be great for the team; he has had an excellent 18 months with New Zealand and so is going to be exciting to see him join up with the rest of the lads.
You may also want to watch:
“He has shown on the biggest stage that he is great with the white ball, but is also able to give it a strike down the batting order. Tim will be a real asset the team, especially with his fellow International team mate, Scott Styris, joining him as our overseas players for the twenty20.”
David East, chief executive of Essex Cricket, said: “The signing of Tim Southee to the squad, which is already very strong, shows the intent we have at Essex. Along with signing Scott Styris, these are very exciting times ahead for the Club and with the great crowd behind the players at the Ford County Ground then I’m sure the members and supporters will see a great season of cricket.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 3 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 4 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 7 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 8 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 9 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
- 10 MoD warns about late-night Apache training