Southwold stay top after scintillating win at Thetford
- Credit: Archant
Eastern Counties London 3 Thetford 20 Southwold 26 Southwold remain top of the table after a scintillating win at Thetford.
Two evenly matches sides went at each other for half an hour before Southwold finally broke the deadlock when powerful running from Dominic Hill and Joe Block led to Callum Anthony jinking his way to the line. The conversion attempt from the left came back off the post.
Thetford hit back with a long penalty kick and continued to attack, their pressure eventually telling when their centre ran through seven tackles to score a fantastic individual try under the posts.
Wold were back on the scoresheet just a minute after kicking off the second half. Some strong tackling saw the ball turned over, Block again made the initial break, Chippy Middleditch backed up well before Zak Loader crashed over for a converted try.
Straight again from the kick-off, Thetford won a line-out and Wold offended in the line. The kick sailed over from 40 metres and the hosts again had their nose in front by a single point.
You may also want to watch:
In what was a fantastic advert for the game, Wold retook the lead when Ollie Carlstrom who broke away down the right to put Hill over for a great try in the corner. Josh Wallis calmly slotted over from the touchline.
The rugby was fast, furious and irresistible with neither team tiring or giving an inch. Thetford were held up in Southwold’s 22 time-and-time again, but eventually scored and a fantastic conversation put them 20-19 in front with five minutes to play.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash
Southwold responded with wave-after-wave of attack, Block eventually breaking two tackles and sprinting in for the try of the game under the Thetford posts. Wallis slotted the easy conversion with two minutes to go.
From the kick-off, Thetford won the ball and again went on the attack but their right winger was eventually tackled into touch and the referee blew for time on a breathtaking game of rugby.
Wold gained a vital bonus point win and Thetford a more than deserved losing bonus point. The reverse fixture after Christmas must not be missed.