St Albans 0 Ipswich 3

English Hockey League

Women’s Conference East

DEFENDING EHL East Conference Champions Ipswich, showed their class on Saturday romping to a 3-0 win with an injury hit squad.

Missing five key players the Suffolk squad travelled with only two substitutes on Saturday and were extremely grateful for retired first team player Vic Sandall for stepping in at the last minute.

Sandall though looked as she had never been away and her classy display was a delight to see.

The game started with Ipswich determined to dominate the proceedings and it became clear that as long as the visitors took their chances it would be a case of damage limitation for St Albans.

After creating, but not taking their chances last week Ipswich were keen to get that early goal and that they did when on the 10th minute, after Ipswich captain Emma Millar won a short corner, Anni Broster fired the Suffolk club into the lead.

Most Read

Despite the setback St Albans battled hard and Ipswich did well to stand up to some rather unsavoury mistimed tackles by their hosts. A little lapse in concentration saw the home team with a couple of half chances but Caroline Stuart in goal dealt with any threat and they play soon was back in the St Albans half.

Ipswich continued to look for their crucial second goal but had to wait until the stroke of half time. Player of the match Broster again scoring, this time with a great reverse stick shot after an excellent run and pass from Chloe Hunnable. It was Brosters fourth goal in four games and saw her move to second in the league-scoring list.

Ipswich were well aware of the danger of complacency in the second half and stepped up their game again. Any danger down the left was dealt with superbly by debutant defender 16-year-old Fran Tew, who’s assured performance won her the personal best of the game award.

Another talented Ipswich teenager, Faye Curran added Ipswich’s third goal after some great work again by Hunnable. It was Curran’s first National League goal.

The visitors thought they had scored a fourth but the goal was not given as the umpires decided an Ipswich stick had not touched the ball in the circle.

The game finally ended 3-0 to Ipswich and whilst the performance warranted a few more goals the team were happy to get back to winning ways.

After two games on the road Ipswich now welcome bottom side Dereham to Tuddenham road on Saturday and with several players again available for selection, the champions will be looking for another strong winning result.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter