Steven Taylor could be the big character that Ipswich Town need, says Darren Ambrose
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Experienced defender Steven Taylor could be the big character that Ipswich Town need right now, according to his former Newcastle United team-mate Darren Ambrose.
Taylor made more than 200 appearances for the Magpies, the majority of which were in the Premier League, and is now a free agent after leaving Major League Soccer side Portland Timbers before Christmas.
The centre-back started a trial with the Blues yesterday, on his 31st birthday, and will be offered a short-term deal if he can prove his fitness and ability.
“I know he’s had a few injuries in recent years, and Mick McCarthy will be the judge of whether he’s up to it, but if his fitness is up to scratch then he will be a fantastic signing in my opinion,” said former Town favourite Ambrose, who played alongside Taylor at St James’ Park from 2003 to 2005.
“First and foremost he has got Premier League experience and Premier League quality, but he’s a great character as well. He wears his heart on his sleeve. He’s a player that never gives up, he never goes hiding and he always sticks his chest out in tough times.
You may also want to watch:
“The fans up there loved him for that and those qualities could be a breath of fresh here. It’s a case of the more leaders the better when things aren’t going so well.”
With McCarthy playing three at the back at present, and Adam Webster ruled out for the rest of the season with an ankle injury, Taylor would compete with Luke Chambers, Christophe Berra and Paul Digby for a starting spot.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 4 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 5 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 9 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 10 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
Tommy Smith is due to return to training this week following a lengthy lay-off due to back surgery.