Stowmarket maintain pressure on leaders with win over Newmarket
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Eastern Counties London 3 Stowmarket 48 Newmarket 10 Stowmarket maintained pressure on leaders Southwold at the top of the table with a well-deserved victory against struggling Newmarket.
The opening kick-off saw Stowmarket spill the ball, but from the resulting Newmarket drive there was a turnover, the ball was pushed wide to full-back Dan Garrard and he ran through to score and kick the conversion.
Australia-bound centre Max Crowe then ran through for two further converted tries and to confirm that he will be missed.
In this period Newmarket had managed a penalty and, shortly before half-time, were rewarded with a well-converted try.
The second half saw the game more and more moving to Stowmarket’s favour as they proceeded to run in a regular supply of tries via Dan Garrard, Bradley Durrant, Scott Woolnough, Nick Faliveno and Joe Lancaster.
You may also want to watch:
In a fast moving game Stowmarket put in a mixed performance. It was good in places, but at times there was also a little loss of control at crucial moments.
Prop Ben Honeyball can consider himself a little unlucky to take a yellow card towards the end of the game.
- 1 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 3 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 4 Matchday Live: Bonne thumps Town ahead at Lincoln
- 5 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
- 6 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 9 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 10 Grieving Cook determined to fill Town fans with joy
This weekend see a rest from league fixtures and a game against Datchworth in the RFU Senior Vase.
Eastern Counties London 3
Stowmarket 48 Newmarket 10