‘The last 10 minutes felt like 10 hours’ – Stowmarket boss Andrews after FA Vase win

Stowmarket players (yellow and black) celebrate their first-half equaliser against Swaffham. Picture

Stowmarket players (yellow and black) celebrate their first-half equaliser against Swaffham. Picture: CARL MARSTON - Credit: Archant

Stowmarket Town manager, Rick Andrews, admitted that the final 10 minutes of last night’s FA Vase replay “felt like 10 hours.”

But his side held on to record a 2-1 win over Swaffham Town, in an FA Vase third round replay at Greens Meadow, to reach the fourth round of this national competition for only the second time in their history. They are the only club, from either Suffolk or Norfolk, through to the last 32.

“I’m so pleased, for everyone at the club,” enthused Andrews.

“We’ve got this far once before, back in the 1980s, but that was more than 30 years ago.

“We’ve had two very tough games, against very dogged opposition.

You may also want to watch:

“And to be honest, I was surprised with how well Swaffham played early on. They did well in the first 30 minutes.

“But we then played a bit of football and scored a goal before half-time, with what was our first real move.

Most Read

“There were a few choice words at half-time, but not that many because I felt that we had got into the game during the last 10 minutes of the first half.

“It was a great header from Sam (Nunn) to get us the winner, and it’s great for Sam, because he is a Stowmarket lad, through-and-through.

“We played a lot better in the second half, and we then made sure that we saw it out.

“I didn’t think that I would be so nervous at the end, but this was a big deal for the club, and such a big game.

“In fact, those last 10 minutes felt like 10 hours!” added Andrews.

- Needham Market suffered a 2-0 defeat away at Biggleswade Town in an Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Central clash in Bedfordshire last night.

Both goals came in the second half, and both were scored by Bradley Bell.

The hosts took the deadlock in the 51st minute, from a corner. Ben Walster’s delivery to the far post was teed up by Tom Smith for Bell to slot home.

And Bell struck from another corner, again swung over by Walster, in the 83rd minute. Joe White’s shot was blocked but Bell buried the rebound.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter