Strikers Freddie Sears and Dan Holman on target again in another Colchester United win
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
AFC Sudbury 1 Colchester United 4
Colchester United recorded their third pre-season friendly victory inside six days with a 4-1 win at AFC Sudbury tonight.
The U’s went two-up in the first half, thanks to a penalty by Freddie Sears, after defender Yiga had handled Drey Wright’s cross, and then a goal by Drey Wright himself.
Winger Wright beat keeper Archer with a curling shot that flew into the top corner of the net.
AFC Sudbury pulled a goal back, early in the second half, when half-time substitutes Shinn and Hughes combined. Shinn’s corner eluded keeper Sam Walker and Hughes headed home.
You may also want to watch:
Howvever, the League One side restored their two-goal advantage thanks to Sammie Szmodics’ first goal of the summer.
Dan Holman released Gavin Massey down the wing, and the ex-Watford man set up Szmodics to guide home the U’s third.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
It was Holman who added the fourth, benefiting from a defensive mistake to net a real poacher’s goal.
Holman had also netted in the first friendly, a 4-1 win at Brantham last Saturday, while fellow striker Sears now has four goals to his name following a penalty at Brantham and a brace at Heybridge on Tuesday night.
AFC Sudbury (starting line-up): Archer, Swatman, Flynn, Baker, Yiga, Henshaw, Coley, Clarke, Reed, Maxwell, Newby. Subs used: Shinn, Hughes, Baker, Blackwell, Mallardo.
U’s (first-half): Lewington, Olufemi, Okuonghae, Eastman, Gordon, David Wright, Eastmond, Drey Wright, Sears, Vose, Ibehre.
U’s (second-half): Walker, Clohessy, Thompson, Kent, O’Donoghue, Gilbey, Moncur, Watt, Szmodics, Massey, Holman.