Sudbury boxer Billy Bird to make first appearance at Bethnal Green’s famous York Hall venue
- Credit: Steve Adams
Billy Bird can do his reputation a world of good on Friday night, when he makes his debut at the world famous boxing venue York Hall, in Bethnal Green.
The 22-year-old Sudbury fighter takes on Warwickshire’s Mike Byles on a Frank Warren card in London.
“There are going to be a lot of top prospects on the show and it’s about getting my name out there,” said Bird, the British Bronze Masters light-middleweight champion.
“A lot of my friends are based quite close to London and it is going to be a dream come true for me to fight there.
“I have been going there to watch boxing since I was young, so for me to be making my debut there on a Frank Warren show is pretty special.”
You may also want to watch:
Unbeaten in 10 fights, “Billy Boy” was due to fight in Norwich last month.
However, late withdrawals, left promoters with insufficient bouts to make the show, at the Mercy nightclub in Norwich.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 5 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 6 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 7 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 8 Crash between two motorbikes
- 9 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 10 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
“I was a bit gutted but things happen for a reason and that’s all gone now,” added Bird.
“Nothing has changed as a result and I have been training well and I am feeling good.
“It’s a chance for me to get myself out on a bigger show and get my name out around London.”
Byles is a 28-year-old middleweight who has won four and lost two of his six bouts.
His last fight, back in November last year was unsuccessful, the Midlander being stopped inside four rounds by Ben Davies in a British Masters Silver Middleweight title fight.
The bill at Bethnal Green also features unbeaten light heavyweight prospect, Hertfordshire’s Miles Shinkwin and Romford cruiserweight Tony Conquest.
Tickets can be purchased from Billy Bird on 07717 315528