Sudbury girls become Euro Stars
- Credit: Archant
Sudbury Under-14s are celebrating after clinching the title at the Euroluc Hockey Festival.
Susie Wright’s eighth-minute strike proved to be decisive in a tight contest against Old Loughtonians, in Lille, France.
Following Wright’s strike, the players all raised their games and produced the performances of their lives with Ellen Seeley, Maddie Wagland and Katie Crace tireless in midfield and Molly Redgrove solid at the back.
Coached by Mark Dudley and managed by Fiona Crace, the team were up against much larger clubs from Belgium, France and the UK in their quest for silverware.
In the team’s first game, the girls played Richmond HC and, with much determination, won 1-0, thanks to a beautifully clean-cut shot from a short corner, hit by Katie Crace.
You may also want to watch:
Next up they faced the Old Loughtonians, who they would go on to meet in the final, and this again proved to be a very tough match, with Sudbury trailing 1-0 at the break – goalkeeper Daisy Gemmel and defenders Molly Redgrove and Lizzy Skells ensuring they didn’t trail by a bigger margin.
Second half goals from Chloe Redgrove and Susie Wright gave them a gritty 2-1 victory.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 4 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 5 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 6 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 7 North Stander: Norwich will be back in Championship - can we join them?
- 8 Five floating restaurants to visit in Suffolk
- 9 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 10 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
In their final group match, Sudbury were up against a team from Brussels and great defending from Rebecca Taylor and Freya Dawson enabled Chloe Redgrove to score the decisive goal of the game.
In to the semi-finals and after going a goal down, despite Maddie Wagland dominating the midfield for the Suffolk team, Lara Chapman grabbed the equaliser after several attempts in the circle.
Sudbury held on and went through to the final on goal difference.
Sudbury team: Lara Chapman, Katie Crace, Freya Dawson, Daisy Gemmel, Eloise Langford, Chloe Redgrove, Molly Redgrove, Lottie Riley, Ellen Seeley, Lizzy Skells, Lottie Summers, Rebecca Taylor and Susie Wright