Suffolk darts team begin their new season with a fine win over Worcestershire
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk started the 2017/18 British Inter County Championship Division Two season with a fine 19-17 overall win at home to Worcestershire.
Mandy Reeves got Suffolk’s season off to a perfect start in the Women’s B match, but the visitors hit back to win the next two games. Suffolk regained the lead with wins for Barbara Chenery and Lady of the match Rossy Scriven – but Worcestershire took the last to earn a 3-3 draw in the Women’s B match.
Honours were also shared in the Men’s B match, with Suffolk slightly disappointed to only draw 6-6 having fielded their strongest Men’s B line up for many a year.
It all started well for the home side with excellent wins for Liam Last, Curtis and Andrew Gilding.
But Worcestershire took the next four games without dropping a leg.
You may also want to watch:
A debut win for Stuart Bull and a fine performance by Man of the Match Ryan Meikle gave Kim Buckingham the chance to grab a draw for Suffolk Men’s B with a win in the final game of the day.
With the overall scores level at 9-9, a brilliant Lady of the Match display by Sarah Ceska was the undoubted highlight of the Women’s A match on Sunday – with Carly Chenery the other Suffolk victor in what was, in the end, a narrow 4-2 defeat.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 6 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 7 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 8 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 9 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
Facing a two-game deficit in the overall match, Suffolk Men’s A team set about their task well, taking three of the opening four games – with wins for Tony Lincoln, Man of the Match Gary Butcher and Daren Wood.
Suffolk put themselves on the brink of overall victory as wins for Jason Elvin, Rob Morling, Mark Walker and Wayne Hammond gave the Men’s A an unassailable 7-2 lead and made the overall score 18-15.
But the visitors are not one of the promotion favourites for nothing, and took the next two games.
But Rob Warman won the final game of the weekend to clinch an 8-4 win for Suffolk Men’s A and an overall 19-17 victory.
Suffolk are next in action on the weekend of October 14/15 when they travel to face Cleveland.
Send us your local sports stories: email@example.com