Suffolk league’s finest to put rivalries to one side
JOINT-manager Peter Gorham is confident his squad will put their rivalries to one side when the pick of the Suffolk & iPSWICH League represent their county against a team from Reading on Saturday.
Ransomes Sports boss Gorham and Felixstowe United manager Ian Watson will lead out players from their respective sides as well as the best talent from Ipswich Athletic and Grundisburgh when Suffolk SIL play in the first round of the Inter League Cup at Hadleigh United’s Tinkers Lane Ground, kick-off 2.30pm.
“Ipswich is such a small place and it is incredible how quickly the players have gelled together,” said Gorham.
“We have organised two pre-game training sessions and will be meeting on the morning of the game at the Post House for breakfast, to get the banter going.
“That is what the training sessions have been about too, to build up a team spirit and camaraderie and the players are getting on together really well.
You may also want to watch:
“I have told them that they might hate the sight of each other on a Saturday afternoon but this is a time for them to come together.
“No one doubts they all have ability but that does not necessarily make a great team and my job is to get them up for the game.”
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 3 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 5 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 8 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 9 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 10 Hadleigh dad fights to reverse diabetes diagnosis
The squad includes seven players from Grundisburgh, five from Ransomes and two each from Ipswich and Felixstowe.
Gorham added: “We have heard Reading are a big, physical side but we will just concentrate on our own game.
“This is the highest level some of our boys will play in their career and I have got to get it over to them that it is a great honour for them to represent Suffolk.
“It is a great honour for myself and Ian (Watson) to manage them.”
D Crump Grundisburgh, A Crump Grundisburgh, M Cunningham Grundisburgh, M Moore Grundisburgh, L Alexander Grunndisburgh, M Van Oene Grundisburgh, T Childs Grundisburgh, C Kyle Felixstowe Utd, M Morgan Felixstowe Utd, T Parker Ransomes, J Foster Ransomes, E Crow Ransomes, D Carnell Ransomes, A Carnell Ransomes, S Marjoram Ipswich Ath, C Jennings Ipswich Ath