SUFFOLK MERIT 1: Bury Wolves 27 Ipswich YM Hawks 6
Ipswich YM Hawks travelled to league leaders Bury for what would be their toughest challenge to date.
The first half saw a fantastic performance by the Hawks who matched Bury for aggression and sheer determination.
At times passion reached boiling point resulting in a yellow card for both sides on the 10 minute mark.
Bury scored a well-worked try and a penalty saw them go 10-0 up with 10 minutes to go to half time.
Two missed penalties from YM were disappointing to see but a drop-goal from 35 metres and a penalty saw the half time score at 10-6 in favour of Bury.
In the second half, the Hawks showed the same level of aggression but missed tackles led to Bury scoring again under the posts.
YM were impressive in the lineout but their scrum left much to be desired and this was punished by the Bury 8 and 9, sucking in the YM defence and allowing space for the Bury backline to make good ground.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 3 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 4 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 5 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 6 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 7 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 8 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 9 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
- 10 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
A penalty and another Bury score saw the total reach 27-6.