Suffolk Primary Cup final report: Darren Smith and Jack Durey fire Bures United to win over AFC Yourshirts
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk Primary Cup final Bures United 2 AFC Yourshirts 1 Two goals in the space of three first-half minutes set Bures United on course for a 2-1 victory over AFC YourShirts in this season’s Suffolk FA Primary Cup.
Darren Smith and Jack Durey were both on target in the opening 25 minutes, and although Gavin Paul pulled one back with ten minutes remaining, Bures held firm to lift the trophy.
Manager Denis Handley was left nursing a shoulder injury after being mobbed following the Andreas Carter Essex & Suffolk Border League Division Three side’s celebrations following Wednesday’s final at Colchester United FC.
Handley was in charge two years ago when Bures lost by the same scoreline to another Touchline SIL side, Barham Athletic, in the final.
But Bures banished any thoughts of going home empty-handed this time with an impressive all-round display in front of a healthy crowd of 393.
You may also want to watch:
They broke the deadlock mid-way through the first-half when Smith picked the ball up in midfield and played it wide left to Courtney Prince. The striker delayed his return pass which split the defence for Smith to run on and bury a low shot underneath the exposed Derren Burn.
Bures rocked AFC YourShirts, who remained undefeated – 23 wins and one draw – on their way to winning the SIL Division Four title with a second goal just three minutes later.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 4 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 7 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 8 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 9 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
- 10 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
Another swift break saw Connor Tucker’s well-weighted pass feed Durey in space on the left and his first-time shot beat Burn to put Bures in command.
AFC Yourshirts reduced the deficit in the 80th minute, substitute Paul rising highest to send his header into the far corner from Kieren Cotterell’s left-wing corner.
AFC YourShirts: Derren Burn, Danny Duncan, Jason Brame, Phil Tyrrell, Simon Roberts, Stephen Calver, Luke Emerson, Mel Clarke, Kieren Cotterell, Steve Smith, Richard O’Brien. Used subs: Gavin Paul, John Hughes, Dan Barker. Unused subs: Sam Hyam, Jake Hurst.
Bures Utd: Kurt Waterfield, Thomas Eady, Adam Dolling, Shane Wanmer, Jake Wood, Darren Smith, Jack Durey, Jack Hubbard, Connor Tucker, Courtney Prince, Hunter Wallis. Used subs: Thomas Bailey, Ashley Binfield. Unused subs: Oscar Knebel, Adam Kenny, Pete Stephens.
Referee: Paul Staddon.