Suffolk Saxons’ winning streak in AJ Bell National Badminton League ends at the hands of Team Derby
- Credit: Archant
Despite a typically resilient performance the Suffolk Saxons badminton team suffered their first loss since an opening week defeat to Birmingham at the hands of Team Derby last night.
The AJ Bell National Badminton League’s surprise package have become known for battling back from losing positions to win matches in their first season in the league, but were unable to do it again in their fifth game of the campaign.
The teams traded blows throughout the night, hosts Derby taking the mixed doubles 3-1 before Saxons won the women’s singles 3-0.
The men’s singles went to Derby with the same scoreline but the night was level again after Suffolk bounced back from 2-0 down in the women’s doubles to win 2-3.
Yet again it came down to the final event, the men’s doubles, and a fifth, deciding game.
You may also want to watch:
Derby held on though despite last minute victories being the Saxons’ speciality.
The Suffolk side are now fourth going into their final match against Nottingham on February 6. To make the top-two playoff on February 8 a big win is needed along with a favourable result in the Derby v Loughborough match.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 7 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 8 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 10 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast