Cull called up for Suffolk in crunch Lincolnshire clash
- Credit: Archant
Martyn Cull will make his first appearance of the season for Suffolk in the crunch Unicorns Championship match against Lincolnshire, starting on Sunday at Ipswich School, writes Nick Garnham.
Cull comes into the side as neither Jaik Mickleburgh nor Alex Oxley, who opened the innings in Suffolk’s last game at Hertfordshire, are available.
The 35-year-old, who has played in 62 Minor Counties Championship matches since making his debut in 2006, was not available in the first half of the season due to a change in his role at Ipswich School.
A broken finger then delayed his debut for club side Sudbury, after switching from Copdock & Old Ipswichian in the winter.
He returns to the fold as former Essex batsman Mickleburgh is away with Brentwood School in America, and Oxley is playing for Suffolk Under-17s in a national semi-final final away to the Isle of Man.
You may also want to watch:
Cull will open the innings with his Sudbury team-mate and Suffolk skipper Adam Mansfield, who will move up the order to form a new opening partnership.
Bury St Edmunds all-rounder Josh Cantrell also returns after university commitments cause him to miss the innings and eight runs victory at North Mymms CC.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 8 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 9 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
That was Suffolk’s third straight win – and second by an innings – to move them joint second in the Eastern Division table with Staffordshire just one point behind Lincolnshire with two matches to play.
Suffolk head coach Andy Northcote said: “It should be a cracking game and at the perfect setting. We know the wicket will be good which will allow for the team that plays the best over the three days to succeed.
“Lincs, and ourselves, are right up at the top of the table and whoever wins sits in the driving seat to win this competition with one game to go.
“I know Lincs will be bringing a strong and experienced side, however what they will find is a Suffolk group that are willing to scrap, work for each other and leave nothing behind.”
Suffolk: Martyn Cull, Adam Mansfield, Kyran Young, Jed Cawkwell, Ben Shepperson, Mike Comber, Darren Ironside, Jack Beaumont, Tom Rash, Josh Cantrell, Ollie Bocking.